Persistence and public land

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
3seasons
Veteran

Persistence and public land

Postby 3seasons » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Whew it's been a tough but fun season. Between my dad and myself we've hunted this bird for 23 days this season alone. It's was looking like it was going to be one of those birds that you really should just forget and move on to another one but being hardheaded and determined I was either going to make or break my season on him.
Being a public land bird he only gobbled 3-5 times and that's all you'd get, if you made a call to him it was game over. We've fought weather and people and not to mention the 45min hard walk to get to him. Well this morning I decided to try again so I was where I wanted to be an hour before first light. Well of coarse he wasn't anywhere close to where I was hoping he would be(he had 4 different roost spots). When he finally gobbled and I realized where he was I picked up and took off. I got kinda close to where I thought he was roosted and he gobbled again. So once I finally tiptoed to the right finger ridge I eased down to the tree I wanted and he gobbled for the 4th time.
I relaxed looked around and made the slightest softest purr I could on my Madhatter 4track copper pot and then I set it down and used my wing to do a couple fly downs and scratched the leaves. It's got eerily quiet and finally after about 15 min passed and I see a hen coming towards me and I think I can hear drumming every now and then. She mills around and walks past me walking up the hollow to my left going up into so pines. 10 minutes passes and I can still hear drumming and then a crow caws over my head and he gobbles 75yds away and now I can see him strutting and walking my way. He struts up the hollow to my left and I have one good opening to shoot through. When he struts into it I yelp softly and he broke strut like nobodies business and that's all I needed. I let my little 20ga work. After a very gracious prayer to the Man upstairs for his awesome creation I looked at a bird that has had me humbled and kinda depressed the last few weeks.
I couldn't be happier with this year's season. I've called in a few for friends and my dad and now I finally got this old bird.
He's got a 10" beard and 1 1/16" spurs.

HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Re: Persistence and public land

Postby QUACKERS » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Congrats!!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:20 pm

That is a bird you will always remember. Congrats!
Scott Baker
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Great bird! Congrats.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:02 am

Turkey Thug's still got it. Congrats man, nice bird!
SHERMANATOR
billjohnson
Veteran

Postby billjohnson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:58 am

Nice story. That's what I get on here for. Congratulations.
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Postby Duck Chaser » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Sometimes I think you'd be better to move on than stay after a tough bird, but I can't do it either. Now you can sleep. :)
HRCH Rusty MH

Return to “General Discussion Forum”