Coast Turkey Before and After

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Alex
Veteran

Coast Turkey Before and After

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 am

I had this gobbler on camera a few times the week leading up to the opener. It wasn't until Friday afternoon that I had real good pictures of him and could tell he was a long beard. Needless to say I was pretty pumped as we do not get a lot of opportunities down here.

When opening morning came I wanted to make sure I got to the area where I had been seeing him and get set up well before day light and well before anyone else would be there. I believe we were set up and ready for him by 6:00am on Saturday. As it started to get lighter I could notice something about 60 yards away in a tree right across from me on the edge of the food plot. It was HIM ! Thankfully he had not seen us walk in as (I assume) it was too early for him to see well or he was still asleep. Either way we got real lucky. He stayed in the tree preening, strutting, and spitting until around 7:20 when he flew down and landed in a road leading into the food plot about 75 yards away from our set up. We sat there for 15 minutes unable to see him and we were not really sure if he was coming to us or walking away. After making a few calls and not having sight of him we decided that Kris was going to get up and start walking away from our set up through the woods making some calls. It took about 15 minutes and then I spotted him right at the opening of the food plot in full strut. He was not gobbling at all but spitting and strutting back and forth. This kept up for about 30-45 minutes until finally after both of us calling he decided to come in and get a closer look. He stopped walking and came out of strut at 27 yards from me and that's when his morning ended. All turkeys are great but the ones I am able to hunt close to my house are some of my favorites. Its a little bittersweet now that I know he is not there to hunt again this weekend but now its time to get out and find another one.
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Re: Coast Turkey Before and After

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:42 am

congrats man!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”