Trigger to Hard

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Trigger to Hard

Postby peewee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Took my daughter on her first hunt this year and had a ball, especially after having some difficult hunts last year. At daylight we heard some birds deep in the swamp and we struck out after them. She fell in the water and got soaked right off the bat. We pushed on and set up about 300 yards from the birds in the only dry ground I found. There were 3-4 birds and they gobbled pretty good on the roost. I called they answered. Two hit the ground and started coming our way fast. Little did I know they skirted us about 60 yds on the other side of a shallow slough. After a while we started working back to the UTV. I got about a 1/4 mile from the bike and decided to give a desperation call from the old Lynch fool proof. 80 yds up the road he sounded off. I knew it was on. We scrambled to the only 12" oak available and set up. I called he gobbled 50 yds. About 30 seconds later he rounds the curve blowed up. Meredith said "he's beautiful". He stayed out b/w 35-40 yards till he walked off. I wouldn't let her shoot that far. He spit and drummed for 30' until he walked back into the road at 25 yards. I putted and told her to shoot. No shot went off and he strutted away. I was a little frustrated but had to keep my composure to keep her calm. After another 30' he steps back out and looks at the decoys I had done snuck out. He pokes that head up and I say shoot NUMEROUS TIMES. No shot and he walked back and gave us a 20 minute show at 40 yards before he walked off. I asked her why she didn't shoot. She said the trigger is to hard. We were hunting with an old 20 gauge double barrel that I grew up with. It shoots well out to 30 yards but I never thought about the trigger. I got home and compared it to my other 20 gauges and it is a lot harder. I don't know if that's b/c it's double barrel or what but that's something I had never thought of. Time to regroup and get back after him with another gun.
Peewee
randywallace
Veteran

Re: Trigger to Hard

Postby randywallace » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 am

Sounds like y'all had a good time anyway. Hindsight is always 20/20 but had she shot the gun prior to the hunt?
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am

Peewee
Ster
Veteran

Postby Ster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:57 am

You brought up an interesting point about how you use to shoot a lot more than your children do today. I think that is a universal fact. I have a treasure chest of firearms in my two gun safes. About 12 shotguns, 6 Bolt action rifles, 4 AR platform semiautos, about 15 handguns at our disposal and I basically have to beg my son to come with me to range. It's just something that doesn't interest him as much as it did me. He enjoys hunting, but doesn't necessarily look forward to it as much as I did as a child. I guess it's just different time. I guess looking back on life, I just wasn't as involved in as much stuff as he has been growing up. He plays baseball that is practically year round, golf, Basketball, piano, boy scouts. I guess there is so much going on in his life that hunting and shooting firearms just isn't that big of a deal to him. But, everyone has their own passions. Watching how my father in law has pressured his children to follow in his footsteps of career etc... taught me to take a different approach. I tell my sons that I will support them 100% regardless of what they do and what they love so long as it's in keeping with the Word of God.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”