Missouri PL advice

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Gunslinger
Veteran

Missouri PL advice

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 am

I'm considering trying some public land in Missouri this year. Specifically Mark Twain. I've never been on Mark Twain, and it looks like there's several conservation areas. I was hoping maybe one you guys could give some pointers, or at least a good place to start. Even more specifically, I was considering Mudpuppy and Little Black CAs in Ripley County. Anyone ever been there or have other advice for me?
matador1
Duck South Addict

Re: Missouri PL advice

Postby matador1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 am

I've been to Doniphan area several times and hunterd Mark Twain. I know most people go a bit further north but it was always great hunting. You have the Eleven Point and Current rivers in that area and it's beautiful country.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am

I have hunted around West Plains-but the public land was extremely crowded. I ended up working out a deal to hunt some private land.

I really liked hunting around Boss, which is close to Salem. Very nice area with lots of big birds.

If you have the time go North of St Louis to the Mark Twain Lake. It is beautiful and seems to have less pressure. We hunted from a boat around the lake. This is one of my favorite locations.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:45 am

I use to go to Missouri every year. The further away from Mississippi you can go the less people you will see
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Have hunted around Van Buren for both deer and turkeys for about 18 years...Never had a problem finding a place I could hunt by myself, all govt woods. if its someplace you like and are interested PM me and I may can help you out.
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

DO NOT... DO NOT go to Doniphan, 15 years ago it was phenomenal hunting. Now every tom, dick and harry is there. Get away from the state line. COE land has been good for us, very good.
Gunslinger
Veteran

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! Not sure we'll make MO this year, as something fell in our lap for Texas. But I'll keep the info in mind in case I get a few days to make a run up there myself.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”