Slams??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quackerkiller
Veteran

Slams??

Postby quackerkiller » Thu May 23, 2013 6:56 am

Due to 3seasons phenomenal accomplishment for the season, I have a question...... Who all on here has the same title under their belt? This is a dream of mine, and for 3seasons to do this without the use of a guide (fully guided no caller for him)..... Well..... My hats off to you sir! So let's hear it..... Who all has done slammed and who all has been further inspired to do so!?
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Re: Slams??

Postby vicksburg » Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 am

I got a single season slam in 2010.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=79519&hilit=slam
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:24 am

Not a single season slam in my career of turkey hunting, but I finally finished a World Slam this year. Killed a Gould's back in 2006 and killed 2 Ocellateds in 2007. Took three trips to Florida (first 2 were buddy deals and ended up as a huge flop), but I killed 2 Osceolas this past March to actually complete 2 Royal Slams too. Don't know if I'll ever complete a single season slam unless I win the lottery. I'm most likely done with Florida.
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 am

I was on all the hunts with 3seasons out of state. Although me and him have never killed an eastern together. We have killed birds in 7 states together but never here at home.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs
deerhunt1988
Regular

Postby deerhunt1988 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am

One single season public land slam in 2010. Two single season public land slams in 2012. Figure it will be a longgggggggggggggg time before I am able to do it again. Going to be hard to ever top my 2012 season considering the limit on Osceolas is two.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 am

i've gotten them all on public except the osceola, i got my osceola on private. I tried for a public osceola as well one year, but people are def after them more than any other subspecies. I had a chance on a jake at 1:15 one afternoon, but florida public ends at 1 pm. Oh, and i think i helped deerhunt with his Merriams in 2012, so I'll take some credit for his, but since he could kill turkeys in the walmart parking lot, not much.
3seasons
Veteran

Postby 3seasons » Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks, me and BBR12 have had some great hunts. This year was no exception, to say we were blessed is an understatement. Like he said it’s crazy that we grew up hunting together but we have never taken a bird in MS while together. We've taken birds on the same morning but never while hunting together, gonna have to change that.

Can’t say it was all unguided we did use Ramsey Russell on our Osceola hunt, we were his guinea pigs for a new place he found. We had planned and saved for 6 years to go to private or public land but the more we thought about it we wanted the absolute best chance we could have at harvesting an Osceola. We had heard some horror stories on some of the South FL public land hunts. So we bit the bullet and Ramsey hooked us up on a phenomenal hunt that took less than 30min. All others have been on public land and called up by us.
Hope that doesn’t taint it too much.. I’d highly recommend Ramsey and Get Ducks for a South FL turkey hunt.

Next trip to S FL will be on public land
HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll
deerhunt1988
Regular

Postby deerhunt1988 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:58 am

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

i was looking for a fence last week in Colorado.

The florida guys have no problem moving in, even when they think someone is in the area. Also, i think their lottery WMA's get poached bad by neighbors.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm

I got 2 Archery grand (2005 2009) and 1 Archery Royal (2007)with my homemade recurve and calls. No guides. my last Grand I did without aid of a blind.
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:57 am

LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 am

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Alex
Veteran

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

I have them all but a Merriam's. Hunted them in 2010 in North West Nebraska with a foot of snow on the ground for the first two days. Had the opportunity at killing a jake (perfectly legal) but decided to wait for a Tom so my slam would be legit. Going to Colorado this year to hopefully complete that adventure. I guess Gould's will be next after that in the quest for the turkeys.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Agree with LawDawg. i would ease into it by going through two stages. 1st stage is reintroduction....buy a used bow off of EEbay for 70 to 150 bucks..Bear, Wing, Shakespeare, etc. Grip it and rip it for couple months to see if you like this style of shooting/hunting... Stage 2...buy a custom Bow pick and choose what woods you like etc. newer bows will have a little more performance. This is a 600- 1500 price tag.. or buy used custom bow..rule of thumb is 1/2$ of new price is a good deal....Those Silver tips like LD shoots, hold almost 85% of their value. .........then take eebay bow and covert to Bowfishing bow!!......pm me if you need other help

back to turkeys.................

My next trip i am going for Goulds with RR when i hit some commission......anybody want to go with bows?
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”