Special Day in the Turkey Woods

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Duckpro12
Regular

Special Day in the Turkey Woods

Postby Duckpro12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm

I never share stories or post much on here but thought I should post my story.

I lost a very special friend and hunting partner this past year. Turkey season rolled around and I really had no desire to be excited. We had shared the last few years together chasing those ole thunder chickens and I just couldn't get fired up to go. That soon changed last weekend, when I finally got away to the family camp and put one down for the count. My spirits were up and got me back in the action. Until I had an allergic reaction and got put in the hospital. I didn't get to hunt this weekend, due to recovering from the episode. I wasn't going to work today (Monday) so i decided Sunday night that I would go to the camp for one last hunt. Sunday night felt like Christmas all over when I was five waiting on Santa. I just could not fall asleep no matter how hard I tired. I was just too fired up about going in the am. Morning finally came with no sleep. I went into my hunting room to grab my gear and there below couple of my turkey kills was pictures of my friend I lost. I said a few words and wished he was with me to share the memories once more. Little did I know what was going to happen.

Arrived at the gate at 5:15am with high spirits. My uncle had spotted a bird in the area the afternoon before and I had an idea of where he'd be. Daylight came with the sound of every hoot howl and crow in the county calling out but no gobble to be heard. I decided around 6:15 to ease to another spot to listen. I had not luck there either. The ole bubble gut started so I made a quick dash to the camp for relief. I decided to go back to the first spot I listened and sit and call. Pulled out my ole slate call and a few yelps later, I heard a gobble in the distance. A few seconds later he gobbled again. I realized this time that he was not on us but out in a field off the Natchez Trace. Ole boy started gobbling every few minutes. The locals began to come by and every now then, I would hear a truck slow down or stop. I was so afraid somebody would do the unthinkable and shoot him off the trace. But the good Lord and my ole hunting buddy had better plains. The ole tom would gobble for a few min and then just shut up and start back up. I knew that it was just a matter of time before he would come my way. 3 hours later and several persuasive notes he was headed my way. (I didn't realize until afterwards that he had to cross a big ditch and came a long ways to get me. My uncle saw him couple time strutting in the field) The gobbling finally started getting closure and closure until he sounded like he was in my lap. Gun in hand I knew any minute he was going to pop out into the food plot I was in. Sure enough about 75 yards in front of me pops out the brightest, reddest turkey head that I have seen. I had Mr. B-mobile in the field with me. At first he just came out looked around and feed. But all of a sudden he double gobbled and began to come closer. 50 yards he stops and gobbles then 40. By this time I still had not seen his beard or him strut to double make sure he was legal. Finally at 40 yards I see his big beard hanging and he goes into strut. I let him strut around for a little while hoping that he might fight my decoy. But he never got the chance. At 30 yards he started easing back into the woods and the 870 finished the rest. I jumped to my feet with such joy and excitement . I had finally claimed the bird after a 3 hour wait. I knew right then that the Good Lord and my buddy where both with me in on this hunt and one I WILL NEVER FORGET. Not only was I blessed with a great hunt but a great bird as well.

Beard: 11 1/2
Spurs: 1 1/8
Weight : Add 10lbs to me after I fry him up
Attachments
photo 1-1.JPG
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Re: Special Day in the Turkey Woods

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Good job !!!!

If you are talking about who I think you are he let me slide one day cause I been chasing a hard headed turkey and final got him on the last day of season which happened to be during finals...

Great man
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
Duckpro12
Regular

Postby Duckpro12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks brother. Exactly who I'm talking about.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 am

awesome
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
quackhead04
Veteran

Postby quackhead04 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Congratulations again buddy! I know he was looking down on you with a smile
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Great bird and story to go with it. Congrats!
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
deerhunt1988
Regular

Postby deerhunt1988 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Congrats on the bird!

The same guy you are talking about excused me for a week while I chased Osceolas in Florida..Told me next time I better take him with me. :lol:
wingman21
Veteran

Postby wingman21 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 am

Every time I hunt a turkey I think about him duckpro. Everytime I goof up I feel like he is laughing and shaking is head.

A good man for sure
3seasons
Veteran

Postby 3seasons » Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Real nice bird, congrats
HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll
Duckpro12
Regular

Postby Duckpro12 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for all the posts. He prolly is the only professor in history that let out his class early to go chase birds.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”