One got lucky... One not so much

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

One got lucky... One not so much

Postby bulldog ducker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am

Got set up on my family farm this morning about 5:30. I have not gotten to hunt in much in the last 10 years because we moved away. I went to my old faithful spot growing up and he hammered off with the thunder that was rolling in ne ms this am. I set the decoy and purred a little and he flea down right to me. He tried a bank maneuver to land by my decoy but failed and crashed into the tree I was sitting under. He landed on the other side of the ditch with me being in the line between him and my decoy. He put on a show for 6 or 8 min then figured out something was wrong and started walking out of the field. I decided to try to shoot him in the back of the head at 40 steps and clean missed. First time I have ever done that. I kinda figured at that point my season is going to end with no turkeys this year...

I decided to move across the road and call a little and after one yelp one let out in the adjacent field. I sat down real quick decided not to put my decoy out and purred one time. He fell over dead less than a min later.

I have not had a gobbler in shooting range all year and today i got 2 in range. I set up one one bird shot and missed, located another and killed him by 6:40 this morning. Heck of a morning.

10 in beard
7/8 spurs

HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Re: One got lucky... One not so much

Postby ScottyLee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

congrats on the hunt! from the lowest of low's on the miss to connecting and feeling the highest of high's. good job man!
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Re: One got lucky... One not so much

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 am

Good work, Doc!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”