SD/WY Merriams in the snow

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tommyls1313
Regular

SD/WY Merriams in the snow

Postby tommyls1313 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am

Flying into Rapid City tomorrow afternoon to start our Black Hills hunt. Supposed to be beautiful weather from tomorrow all the way through our Tuesday trip. Only problem is I'm hearing they got 3 feet of snow on the ground. For any of you guys who have hunted in the snow what should we expect? Kill or no kill we always have a great time just being able to be out enjoying our passion for turkey hunting. Stacking up a few gobblers always helps though :wink:
medic11
Veteran

Re: SD/WY Merriams in the snow

Postby medic11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Man take all of that snow with you when you leave. I'm flying into Rapid City May 12th and hunting the devils tower wy area. Let me know how your hunt goes.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
tommyls1313
Regular

Postby tommyls1313 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

I've always thought it would be neat to watch one come strutting in through the snow. With 3 feet I hope to get my chance :D I'll have the camera rolling. I'll let you know how we do. Hoping to get our SD birds then move to WY before coming home Tuesday.
tommyls1313
Regular

Postby tommyls1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Snow has made hunting very tough. Birds are in their winter patterns. Really grouped up in lots near houses and farms where the locals keep feed out for them and the livestock. Called one in on a string yesterday afternoon for a buddy but haven't been so lucky yet myself. I think without the snow we'd be on birds pretty thick if they'd bust up.
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Start melting some of that snow for me. Be there in 2 weeks
Freedom Hunters

tommyls1313
Regular

Postby tommyls1313 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am

Took care of the snow for you but now I'm dealing with strong winds. Had one at 80 yards this morning but couldn't close the deal. This is by far the toughest physically and mentally hunt I've ever been on. Gotta get it done today or in the morning early. Fly out tomorrow at 1130
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 am

We hunted in snow two or three years ago in SD. Birds worked just fine for us as it had been good weather the two/three weeks prior. Landowner told us still had some snow in some draws here and there. I'm flying out Sat headin to Pierre, SD. Praying for some good weather.
tommyls1313
Regular

Postby tommyls1313 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Well I brought it down to the wire and killed on my last morning. As always we had a blast. Didn't get to swap over to Wyoming for a hunt so maybe another time for that. If the weather stays good you guys getting ready to head out should hit it good.
Attachments
SD merriam 1.JPG
Harry's SD merriam.JPG
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Good looking white tips on those merriams. Seems like the whiter fans usually come from the Montana,SD, Wyoming area
Freedom Hunters

tommyls1313
Regular

Postby tommyls1313 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Yea mine had really white tips and my MT one from a few years back did as well. My buddy Harrison's bird had more of the golden tips like a Rio

Return to “General Discussion Forum”