3 weeks of chasing him... PICS

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
WilM88
Veteran

3 weeks of chasing him... PICS

Postby WilM88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Finally paid off. I ended the chase with a bird we called "hard head" this morning. I've hunted him since the 2nd day of the season and he has been with a posy of hens all year long. I've had him within 75 yards multiple times but always would hang up or gobble and tell me to come to him. He roost in about 3 different locations all about 200 yards apart. He gobbles hard regardless of the weather. Welp this morning he wasn't sayin nothing so I hooted at him about 6:05 and he responded. I knew the tree he was in and figured I would set up north of him in the direction he always flys down and ends up walking up this old road with his women. I told myself I wasn't going to put out a decoy or call and I didn't until it came time to get him to pick his head up to make the shot. I got within about 85 yards of the tree he was in and he continued to hammer for 15 minutes, then he got quiet and I heard him fly down but didn't hear any other birds fly down. Not long after he picks back up with the gobbling, so I wait with fingers crossed he comes my direction. After 5-10minutes of him walking in circles I hear him gobble about 60 yards up the road and then I can see him puffed up walking my direction. I put the bead on him and follow him as he gets to about 35 and yelp at him to stretch that ole neck out and squeezed off. Needless to say I was standing on this old birds head at 6:41 and I couldn't be happier. Me and this old swamp bird's days are over. I won't lose sleep over how to kill him now. He was about 18.5lbs, 10 3/4 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs. Pictures to follow.
[/URL]

Last edited by WilM88 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Re: 3 weeks of chasing him...

Postby LawDawg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

good stuff man.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Re: 3 weeks of chasing him...

Postby QUACKERS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Congrats!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
WilM88
Veteran

Re: 3 weeks of chasing him... PICS

Postby WilM88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks guys!
3seasons
Veteran

Re: 3 weeks of chasing him... PICS

Postby 3seasons » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Thats awesome, I like those hard birds. You learn a lot in the process of hunting them. Congrats.
HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll

Return to “General Discussion Forum”