I believe...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

I believe...

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 pm

That they are done, for the most part. At least where I live. I am not saying that is true all over, but as a whole I think this year is a bust.

I camped out last night on some public land with the pup and heard the first whippoorwill (not a chuck will's widow). I always said that when the two start singing the gobbling is about to wind down.

I figure I logged 6+ miles in today and heard 3 gobbles at 4:30 PM. I was walking the windy side of ridges and occasionally peaking over the lee side for a look. At 3:30 I spotted the longest bearded gobbler down a huge ravine from me. I probably could've shot him, but with such a huge beard (spurs are probably unreal) I didn't want to wound him. No other birds in sight and I'm above him. The book says I should call softly and sit tight. The book says I'm in the perfect spot.

Well the damn book was wrong.

I call softly to this bird and he looks up the hill toward me and acts very interested. So when he goes behind the tree, I ease down- the last thing I see is him eating. Few clucks, purrs and moans, my bad I'm thinking goose, and I sit tight. I hear him down there...he's getting closer. 40 minutes go by and nothing, but I still hear him.

A big gust of wind comes through and I ease up. Ill be damned if he ain't got hens strung out to the next county. I see him heading north following the creek bottom, so I flip the bird to the hens and circle around to get in front.

Sweating like a whore in church I'm setup and feeling good. At 4:30 ill be damned if he don't gobble right where I was at. I decided to run at him screaming. But I decided not to; I decided to just go home.

In all seriousness, I am seeing more signs that the hens are spreading out more to find nests. But gobblers are still roosting with each other, not gobbling and not interested. I am worried that it just aint gonna happen this year. I am going to take a ute in the morning to a property where he claims birds have been gobbling all year. So, like I said, it may be spotty, but all this talk of birds beginning to cooperate is just not happening anywhere where I am at. We will see, but it is getting into the final stretch- and I still see little promise of things changing quickly. If it does turn on then it better happen quick, and if it does, it'll be quick- maybe 7 days or so before the season winds up.

Anybody seeing any promising signs? GPS coords?

I was told last week that the area manager of the wma I hunt regularly said that 7 birds have been killed so far on it. That means six other people got one with me. That's sad if it's true. But I'm kind of glad.

I was sure hoping to get my last bird today so I can think about living again. Might even eat something.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
deerhunt1988
Regular

Re: I believe...

Postby deerhunt1988 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 am

Don't give up yet...Yesterday morning was the best gobbling morning I have had in MS this season..First morning I actually found one 'wanting to play' and advertising himself..And another one was doing this as well. They are as late as I have ever seen them down there. The best part of the season is just getting started..Several gobblers still have hens, even throughout the day. That is crazy only 7 have been checked in...Glad to hear people are giving up though, more assists for me. There are still PLENTY of gobblers out there this season...Right now is historically my best time for killing older birds and successful mid-morn and afternoon hunts..But I think that still may be several days away this season.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 am

Oh I ain't giving up, but I see very little change in behavior other than a bit more gobbling- particularly because there are still so many hens.

We went to private property this morning and had 2 gobble 150 times- roosted right next to each other. Guy says those two have been running all year with each other. Pitched down to their hens and after a very predictable shouting match, they hopped the property line and were gone. One reason why I hunt public- I can run around all day chasing birds and never break the law.

Unless driving women wild is against the law...then I am guilty as charged...not.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Old Swamp Gobbler
Regular

Postby Old Swamp Gobbler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am

Last edited by Old Swamp Gobbler on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 am

It is by no means over...where I hunt, it is actually just getting good. We heard a huge amount of gobbling this weekend. Don't give up.
Ster
Veteran

Postby Ster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Try a Haint call with a lisp...will bring those confused birds prancing right in :lol:
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I calle up 2 jakes and two hens this morning. Heard 3 gobbles. I'm glad they are getting fired up where y'all are at. They have shown no progress here.

I scout regularly. If I died tomorrow they wouldn't be able to say much about me, but one thing they could say is that dude knew his turkey flock. It will happen sooner or later, whether or not if he wants to put a show on for me will be up to him.

I don't see it "bustin wide open" around my parts. I just don't see it. Not by May 1st.

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Have a buddy that hunts every day around Sturgis (public and private) and he has been seeing positive signs for the last week.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I bow hunted yesterday,

had a hen come in, and strutter follow. He had his hen and was not interested in my decoys, 40yds in the woods with no shot for 1 1/2hr was a brutal sit. He was a good 4 year old bird to.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 pm

greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”