Blessed with a huge bird this morning

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mlreb
Veteran

Re: Blessed with a huge bird this morning

Postby mlreb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Helluva bird. I want to hear the story
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm

That my man is a STUD!! Congrats big time!!
ALfwlmth
Regular

Postby ALfwlmth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Awesome bird right there!! Those woods scream rapid heart beat.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:55 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Very nice bird, can't wait to hear the story!
3seasons
Veteran

Postby 3seasons » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Been working mids all week and they have been kicking my butt so I haven’t got to hunt any in the mornings like I had planned to.
I finally got a little sleep yesterday and decided I’d go walk over a couple new spots that I had found on some public land. The first spot was a bust, after walking over 1\2mile in and not seeing the first lick of sign I decided to head somewhere else.

I pull up at my next spot only to see 3 out of state trucks parked up the road on some private land. I’m about a mile from them so I figured Id walk into the strip of public land and look around. This was around 7:15, I walked in a good ways not making a call or sound just looking the woods over. Still no sign, I decided I would walk another couple hundred yards past a fallen down log and if things didn’t pick up I would make another move. About 50yds past that log I started seeing some scratching so I felt a little better. I make a couple soft purrs and clucks then a light yelp on my Madhatter 4-track slate and he gobbled. I slipped over to a tree and called softly with my mouth call as I was sitting down and he gobbled again. I raked the leaves and he gobbled, at this point I’m looking off into a fresh select\clear cut pine ridge and the unmistakable paint of the border and posted signs about 35yds in front of me. I figured if I could get him to the line I was in good shape( I wont cross the line been there done that had it done to me and I don’t like it so as hard as it is I’ll stay on my side of the line)
After a couple minutes I see a head poke up and look around up in the bunching ground about 90yds off. I call as needed but not too much and real soft, he would cut me off every time. This went on for 30min, I finally got him to move up the ridge to about 70yds when a truck drives down the road (in the distance) he hears it and eases down into the hollow in a thicket. I called a few times and he answers me then starts easing back up the ridge. When he gets half way up I give him a couple series of soft yelps and a half cut, he drums and turns my way. It took another 15-20min for him to close the 30yds needed to cross the line. As soon as he stepped beside the painted tree/posted sign I cut at him, he double gobbled and I squeezed the trigger. I was hyperventilating and shaking like a leaf when he was closing the distance. After the shot he rolled back and started flopping towards a tree top, I pumped my gun and sat it down where I was sitting and I ran to get my bird. (didn’t want there to be any question if someone walked up) He flopped in that tree top and plucked out feathers on both sides of his neck.(took a mount out of the question) I finally worked my way through all the vines and grabbed him by the head and was amazed when the beards starting hanging down, holly cow 3 beards this is awesome I thought then he brought one foot up from between his wings and I saw those hooks, I was in awe. That’s when the back spasms and dry heaving began, lol I know its pitiful but I kinda get worked up, lol. Everyone who hunts with me be it deer or turkeys gets a kick out of watching me after the shot.

He strutted and drumed and gobbled for close to 45min. He prob gobbled 75-100 times. Its been a long time since Ive been on a bird that hot. I always say every old bird has his one day that you can kill him you just hope that your in the right spot on that day. Well this was his morning. There is no telling how many people have chased after this old bird and what all he has heard.

IT was an awesome hunt and I said my prayer to the Good Lord above thanking him for the experience.
HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 pm

great story & great bird!
congrats
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Indeed, great story to match a fine bird. It was his day to die it seems. Well played!
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 am

Awsome Bird, and awsome story.

I've been lucky enough to take two really good birds, not quite as big as yours.

but i would advise you to find a nice place for him on the wall for a full body mount. i reget it so much not mounting mine.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
wingmaster_870

Postby wingmaster_870 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 am

Congratulations on one heck of a bird!
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am

Awesome bird! I bet there are a lot of young birds glad that The King has passed!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

That is one awesome bird! You my friend are on a tear this year. Congrats!
SHERMANATOR
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

what a bird. congrats man! that's impressive
jestridg
Veteran

Postby jestridg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 am

Would surly imortilize him on the wall.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”