Texas Bound ( looking for any insite )

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
VICK
Regular

Texas Bound ( looking for any insite )

Postby VICK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Headed out Tuesday afternoon for a four day headbustin I hope. Never been to Tx. im so pumped and ready to go . Im told good ole Ms. run and gun wont work out there just looking for any advice tips or anything I should need to know. What ya got for me?
It aint mercy if you dont beg for it !
Gunslinger
Veteran

Re: Texas Bound ( looking for any insite )

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Wear snake boots (my best advice).
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 pm

What part? Those Turkeys out there like to roam all day and usually gobble. I killed one at 10 steps standing in the wide open next to a 4ft juniper tree...I don't exactly "blend in". More forgiving than birds here, don't be afraid to call. If it gets windy break out a loud box call and use it. Second the snake boots. Lacrosses are not your friend out there. Oh...and a creek is a dry spot that water might run down if it should so happen to rain. When looking for the "roost" that can range from something no bigger than a crepe myrtle to a live oak. They like power poles too.
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 am

If they gobble at your call during the day, sit down. don't worry about finding the best spot to sit, because they are probably coming already, maybe even running. If you have a big creek or river through the place they will usually stay close to it all day. They might go 5 miles down the creek, but will usually be within a mile of it.

I don't know how big your place is, but I've had the best luck during the day just riding around and spotting them from the truck. You can drive right past them, get out of truck and set up, and they will start gobbling again 5 minutes later. So don't be scared to ride and look a lot.

They gobble better in the afternoons than in morning. When they start gobbling in the afternoon, you better be in between them and their roosting spot. And they will gobble until 10:00 at night on the roost if you hoot or coyote call at them. Makes it easy to find out exactly where they are.
Big R
Veteran

Postby Big R » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am

Where are you going? Snake Boots are a must out here, I might forget something, but it won't be my snake boots. I've been hunting these Rio's since 2008 and when I moved to San Antonio in 2010 I had full access to a 4500 acre ranch that was loaded with them and the best part they had never been hunted. The ranch was 4 hours west of San Antonio on I-10 around Fort Stockton, good Lord I miss hunting that place.

The best advice on calling them if it is windy get you an aluminum slate and it will cut through the wind. The further West/Southwest you go the more wind you will be in. The birds will gobble at your call, like stated above, sit down they are coming. If they don't come within' 15-30 minutes move 50-100 yards and hit him again and again as stated above, WATER find it and they will not be for.

I took 2 guys a couple of weeks ago to Concan, TX and neither of them had ever been turkey hunting, so i told them to get the push button call and practice, they did all the way there from Houston. I honestly thought I was going to have to stop and kill them both, but they both killed birds.

Have fun and watch where you step and sit down, especially early in the morning.
If you can't hunt it with a dog, I don't want to hunt it..........
quackerkiller
Veteran

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm working around Tilden, tx right now.... I heard two gobble across the pad two morning ago, but haven't heard them anymore due to traffic coming in and out..... Been trying to find a place to go that's close here but it stays leased up... But from what I've seen, they would be fun fun to take the wife or kids on a hunt! What part are you going to? And good luck!!!
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Snake protection ran across this unhappy camper about 10 this morning.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs

Return to “General Discussion Forum”