Been thinking...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Been thinking...

Postby landscaper » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:35 pm

I encounter a man regularly who can be a real pill to deal with. He is loud and boisterous. He is demanding and overbearing. Arrogant, even. He knows everything, and I know nothing. He is always right, and I’m always wrong. At times it seems that he expects people to feel honored that he has graced them with his presence.

This man is also an active member of a local church. A deacon. I have had occasion to meet him in “churchy” situations and the transformation is shocking. He is quiet. A meek and humble man with little to say and nothing but warm handshakes and smiles for everyone he meets.

So, as I contemplate this today I realize that there is a lot going on here. A lot to be learned.

First of all, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this man has a good heart when it comes right down to it, loves God, and has accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior. His duplicity, however, is a perfect example why Christianity has such a black eye. The world views Christians as a bunch of hypocritical lunatics when we pick and choose how we will represent ourselves based on our surroundings and company. The truth is that we are indeed a bunch of hypocrites. If we weren’t would we need Christ to make us righteous? I can’t possibly get it right all the time. Can you? We get it, but the world doesn’t. It’s on us to rectify that. What are we doing to help them understand they, and we, need Christ?

Secondly, it dawns on me that I’m just like him. If I am honestly introspective I have to admit that, probably more often than not, the words that come out of my mouth and my actions are not in any way pleasing to God. I’m working on it, but I’m equally guilty of turning it on and off like a light switch to suit the situation I find myself in. It isn’t always deliberate and almost never of ill intent but a very poor representation of who I’m called to be, none the less. Can you relate?

And, thirdly, I see that in many ways I’m just like the world; judgmental in that I find it harder to accept the man I described when I meet him “wearing his church clothes” than I do at other times because of the way I have seen him handle himself in day to day situations. I’m forgiven again and again when I commit the same offenses he does, and yet I hold against him the “speck in his eye”. Is my calling not to offer the same forgiveness I’ve been shown? Do others have the same view of me when I’m “wearing my church clothes” as when I’m not? I’m sad to say that it isn’t very likely. Are you like me? Do you need to first “remove the plank from your own eye?”

More often than not the first impression that you leave is the one that is going to be remembered. Make it count. And, then remember to live it.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Re: Been thinking...

Postby hillhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 pm

That's a great message and one that needs to be remembered on a regular basis. It is discouraging to see people (myself included) act one way on Sunday and another on Monday, but we are all sinners and when we can recognize that and accept God's grace as sinners, we can try to improve daily.

I wonder if the man you describe even knows this about himself? In my experience, many people who are as you described are really actually pretty insecure, but maybe not.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”