Charcuterie!!!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Charcuterie!!!

Postby iron grip » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 am

Well, finally....

I got my curing chamber set up, as I've been intending to do for a couple years. Just an old refrigerator with temp control and humidity control. And following the guides of Hank Shaw I have some goodies in the making.

Goose breast prosciutto hang time 30 days....will (should) be ready soon

Prosciutto D'Oca should be ready around Christmas using the minimum hang time of 90 days!!

I plan on doing everything under the sun, but these two should start me off nicely. Looking forward to a whole hog leg hanging in there sooner rather than later.... just got to get me a perfect specimen!! :wink: Salamis, capricola, maybe some lardo.. sky's the limit. Actually I'm starting with stuff outta the sky...... so guess I can only go down from there :lol:

More pics of the progress to come!
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Charcuterie!!!

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:48 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds delicious! And yeah, my wishlist of things to try has greatly expanded since reading Hank's blog.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

d@mn grip......das fancy
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am

Very cool!
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 pm

love it.

I have been wet curing meats for a while and smoking my own deli meat. turns out great and much better than store bought.

you are taking it to another level.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:36 pm

I have been wanting to get into this as well. Do you mind snapping some photos of your set-up. I though I had found a glass front fridge but it ended up being broke beyond repair. Just what I need to get into; a hobby that makes me eat more.....
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I sure will. I don't have any with me right now but when I can I'll snap a few to post... meanwhile I followed this mostly:

http://sausagemaker.com/tutorials/chamber/partslist.html

I'd love to find someone selling a glass front pretty reasonably. What I think would be I frickin DEAL is a wine cooler. Wouldn't have to have external temp controller cause the coldest they usually operate is like 45deg and up to 70 ish, which between 50 and 65 is what you want. mine's set to 57 degrees.
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 pm

UPDATE please
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:57 am

That would be the Breastisisisisissss Prosciutto. Yummy!!

-Jim Rawles

iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:05 pm

-Jim Rawles

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:01 pm

My... what nice breasts you have sir...legs aint bad looking either :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Nice!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”