DuckSouth recipe thread

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

DuckSouth recipe thread

Postby Dutch Dog » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:38 pm

This is the start of something that I hope to be good. Those of you who have special recipe's for wild game....particularly deer....share them here.

My 1st one is simple.

Take a tender part of a deer...u/s tenderloins and backstraps.
Cut into 3/4" square cubes (approx...doesn't have to be perfect)
In a mixing bowl add the following.
Louisiana brand hot sauce....several "dashes"...enough to cover the bottom.
Pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste
Cavenders Greek seasoning to taste
(I use equal amounts of each...but I sprinkle it on...it's not measured)
Mix all this up good.
Take your cubed deer meat and put it in mixture and put a lid on the bowl.
Shake vigorously to completely coat the meat in the sauce mixture.
In an separate bowl add enough flour to coat the meat.
Take meat from mixture and deposit in flour, put lid on bowl and shake vigorously again. You can just add the flour to the bowl the mixture is in if you prefer...it does the same thing.
Take meat and drop in a fry daddy or similar type deep fryer and cook til golden brown. I'd say 4 mins or so...just guessing.
Remove from oil, and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess oil.
Wait 1 minute and enjoy.
Last edited by Dutch Dog on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
woundedduck
Duck South Addict

Postby woundedduck » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:49 am

Last edited by woundedduck on Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Deer roast

celery
Carrots
1 medium onion
Deer hind quarter roast
Cream of mushroom soup
chicken or beef stock
dash of what ever else you want

You don't really need to marinate the roast, but you can if you want.

Line the bottom of the crock pot with celery stocks (so the roast sits on the celary stocks and not the pot). Chop up about a cup of carrots and a cup of celary and the onion. Put the roast on top of the celary in the pot and put in the chopped veggies. Pour the soup in a bowl with the chicken stock and mix. Pour that in to the pot. Put additional water to fill up the crock pot.

Set it on low and cook for about 8 hours. I put it on as I'm leaving for work and it's ready when I get home. Pour a little of the veggie stock over the cut up roast before serving for making it a little more moist seeing as the lean deer meat can be a little dryer than a beef roast.

Another very good thing to do with the left over roast is to make sandwiches. I found that putting the roast with mayo, bbq sauce, and chedder cheese and warming it in the microwave make one hell of a sandwich!
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:56 pm

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
huntingup1
Regular

Postby huntingup1 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:09 am

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
duck_nutt
Duck South Addict

Postby duck_nutt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:39 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

venison bacon wraps

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 am

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
woundedduck
Duck South Addict

Postby woundedduck » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:37 pm

mozbornj
Veteran

Re: Official recipe thread

Postby mozbornj » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:22 am

THIS IS MY FAVORITE WAY TO COOK UP SOME TENDERIZED STEAKS;

CUT BACK STRAP IN 1/2" THICK STEAKS
MARINADE TENDERIZED STEAKS IN YOUR FAVORITE MARINADE FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS
LAY OUT THE BACK STRAP STEAKS AND PUT 1 TBS OF CREAM CHEESE IN THE CENTER
THEN ADD 2 SLICES OF JALAPENO PEPPERS, I USE THE ONES PRECUT IN THE STORE IN A JAR
ROLL THE STEAK AROUND THE PEPPERS AND CHEESE.
THEN TAKE A HALF PIECE OF BACON AND WRAP THE MEAT UP AND STICK A TOOTH PICK IN IT TO HOLD IT TOGETHER.
POUR MARINADE OVER IT AND LET SIT 30 MINUTES WHILE THE GRILL HEATS UP.
COOK FOR 2-3 MINUTES OVER HIGH HEAT AND THEN TURN THE GRILL DOWN LOW AND COOK ANOTHER 10 MINUTES.

HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE WILL LIKE THIS EVEYONE THAT HAS TRIED IT WHEN I COOKED IT LIKED IT SO FAR.
CAN ALSO BE FROZEN IN MARINADE FOR LATER USE.
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm

My wife, Jenny and I have been making Deer-B-Que for about as long as I have been deer hunting and that's been quite awhile. I don't think it's any exact way that it has to be done. In fact each batch that we make turns out different but always as good as anyone could imagine. It's great on an open bun or hamburger style, with sliced tomato, pickles or anything else you would care to dress it up with. It's my main mid day meal when I'm hunting. I use a small single burner propane stove to heat a portion up in a pot. Once it's warm, I shove it over to one side, drop a slice of bread in the pot. Then drag the Deer-B-Que up on it. I like to add pickles & Jalapeno pepper slices then cover it with another slice of bread. I eat it straight out of the pot while sitting on my trucks tailgate. Good stuff.

We almost always use deer shoulders. In fact we wrap and freeze the shoulders in pairs, just for Deer-B-Q. We have a very large Magnalite dutch oven style pot that will hold up to 6 shoulders, depending on the size.

After seasoning them with Tony's season, black pepper and garlic powder, we put the whole shoulders in, add water and cook in the oven at 350 degrees. You need to let them cook down to where the meat falls off of the bone. Be sure not to let the pot dry out. Add water as needed.

When the meat is done you can actually grab a bone and twist as you pull and it will separate from the meat as clean as can be. The next step is to place chunks of meat on a cutting board and using an electric knife start shredding the meat until there are no lumps. Take all of the finely shredded meat and add it to a mixing container. We use a big canning pot that holds about 4 gallons.

As you put the shredded meat into the mixing pot start adding the ingredients.

This is basically what we use but you can really add anything that you would like. We start off with Bar-B-Que sauce, pure 100% pineapple juice, brown sugar and Jalapeno pepper slices. We season with Tony's seasoning, black pepper and garlic powder. Of course you need to constantly stir the pot as you add the ingredients and seasoning. As to how much of each to add, that will be a personal decision that comes from trial & error and experience. You just taste as you go, keep adding what you want and as much as you think you need. You are going to find the mix is pretty thick. We add the liquid from the pot to thin, it also adds more flavor.

We usually have about 3 gallons of meat from an average of 5 shoulders. Give the Deer-B-Que time to absorb all the seasoning and ingredients before freezing. We like to leave ours in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Then we stir and taste. If needed, add more seasoning before freezing in individual freezer, zip-loc-bags.

It's really handy for a quick meal, that's about as good as anything you can find.

>>>=== Warren ===>
Duckpro12
Regular

Postby Duckpro12 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Deer Alfredo Southern Style!!

1 1/2 to 2 pounds of deer meat.

The meat can be any that you wish to use. You want to cut the meat into stripes that are about 1 in long and 1/4 in thick. If Im not using a tender cut (i.e. backstrap) I will tenderize before cutting.

1 onion diced
Garlic one clove or 1 and half tablespoons of minced garlic or as much as you like.
2 cans of mushrooms or fresh if you prefer.
Tony's chachere's seasoning
Tony's chachere's Instant roux mix or brown gravy mix
2 15 oz. jars of classico alfredo sauce any flavor you want used them all or mix them.
worcester sauce 2 to 3 tablespoons not real sure on that usually just pour some in.
Butter

-Add butter half a stick (or margin) to a large dip sided pan stove on med high
-Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms to pan and sautee until almost cooked
-Add deer meat add to pan cover and let cook until done stirring occasionally, also add tony's seasoning and worcester before cooked and stirr well. Reduce stove as needed not to burn.
-Once the deer meat is done add tony's roux mix or gravy mix ( Do not drain water at any time this is what you will use to make the roax or gravy) May have to add water. Don't really know how much I add just go by sight. The roux or gravy mix should be like normal gravy thickness or to likeing.
-Then add your two jars of alfredo sauce to the pan and stir in. Let simmer for 5 min or so.
-Boil pasta of choice and serve on top of pasta.

This is a one pan simple meal for us guys who hate to clean. To me is one of my favorite deer meals especially for people who say they don't eat deer meat.

First time to give out this recipe so feel free to ask any questions.

Hope you enjoy.
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Weird and I said I would not eat but damn good once I did. Fill sink up with water and three caps of clorox put backstap in for thirty seconds take out and put in garbage bag in bottom of fridge for 3 to 4 weeks take out. Cut into filet size portions wrap in bacon sear in black iron skillet put on grill for 1 min per side. You may could skip clorox if your scared but its damn good!! Good as beef!
Get in where you fit in!
Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

Does anyone have a good Deer Tamale recipe?
JMS
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Got some tamales made at hicks in Clarksdale they are right!
Get in where you fit in!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”