Battle of Raymond Hunting Club- Deer Camp Openings

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:52 am

bradrussell5
Veteran

Postby bradrussell5 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:14 pm

On the issue of bow or gunhunters spooking deer- Hammer just by reading the some of your post I would have to asume that you know what your doing. In my opinion as far as spooking deer or making them nocturnal all comes down to pressure, and when i say pressure i mean any type of human activity in a animals natural habitat. I think what Hammer means by bowhunters spooking deer is that bowhunters have to do more scouting in essence more human activity (which i agree with). A good bow hunter understands this "pressure factor" and should use this to his advantage when hunting on public property or clubs just as a gunhunter. Most bow hunters think that it is the gun shots that spook deer during the season when actually it is the "pressure" that is spooking deer. The reason you see less deer during gun season is mainly because there is more human activity in the animals natural habitat (bow season=less human activity, gun season= more human activity).

Hammer, would you say it is more of a challenge to get within 30 yards of a 150 class consistantly or kill a 150 class with a gun over 350 yards consistantly?

In my opinion there is not enough needed habitat in Ms to produce B/C class deer year in/ year out, but the only way to find out i guess is to try! I also agree with some of the other guys about it being his "deal". Like you have done, have your rules be white and black, be honest and up front, and last but not least dont take opinions personnal! Its good to be back, I cant wait to be able to tell yall how much better i am at this hunting thing than all of you :lol:
waterfowlwidowmaker
Duck South Addict

Postby waterfowlwidowmaker » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:35 pm

The MAN is back!!! Whats up BR, Heard you had a hellluva bowfishing trip!! :shock: :lol:
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:46 pm

Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:25 pm

Thanks BR...I been around the block a time or two and have been fortunate to glean ideas from a lot of clubs/hunters/outfitters in a lot of places...Only time will tell but I think we will shoot at, maybe kill, a B&C within the next 3-5 years...

Tough question: Assuming we are talking MS and the same hunter on the same ground then:

Getting within 30 yards of 150+ bucks consistently in MS and you are a master hunter...Killing a 150 at 350 yards once or twice could be luck...Killing a B&C in MS once can be luck...Twice has to be skill and I'd say 2 B&C with gun equal to about 6 150s by bow...

This is not to say that places like Tara, Cottonwood, Fitler, Giles Island, etc dont afford the 30 yards at 150 opportunity...But at BRHC I dont think Chuck Adams, Hiawatha or David (as in Goliath killer) could do it...The deer are on instant alert as soon as human prescence breaks the wood line ahd the fields make it virtually impossible to sneak in on them.

HAMMER
CBrown
Veteran

Postby CBrown » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:07 pm

Hammer
I grew up hunting that area there all my life, actually raymond on down to Utica and all over that country. I am currently in a club off of 27 hwy on the big black river.

I know that area had outstanding genetics and actually saw a nice buck standing in the parking lot of that day care on the corner. Good luck to you and what you are trying to do, keep us posted on your success. I do have one question though, there was a box stand right on the road after you turned on to OPG road. Was that yours and If so how were you allowed to have it so close to the road. I am not trying to sharp shoot you or anything but there have been many times I would of liked to put a stand on or close to a public road but was worried about breaking the law. Again good luck
Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:09 am

CBrown
Veteran

Postby CBrown » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:54 pm

You betcha CBrown...Keep your eyes open...

That is not the deer I was thinking of...He is huge and has been described by several folks as the biggest deer they have ever seen -both in body size and rack...Definitely a B&C and maybe another Matt Woods type monster buck (over 200")...

You might have seen the 6 point from the 03-04 season that I never saw as an 8 point last year...I kept looking for him to surface but never saw him...There is some really thick stuff where the woods meet the creek and every year good deer are seen crossing OPGR between the Day Care and the Bridge...This is also where two creeks come together...The creek that runs by the beer joint and 14 Mile Creek...Typical big buck hangout...The deer you saw is probably a son or grandson of the big one...

HAMMER

Return to “General Discussion Forum”