Battle of Raymond Hunting Club- Deer Camp Openings

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:47 am

Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 am

Thanks for the support guys and your honest comments other guys...

As for Crowder Critter, he is probably a young fella that doesnt realize it is a standing tradition in the South for a DEER club president to get a free membership...Of course that is relative to the dues/buy in/assessments and other economics of the club etc but the president inevitably does a helluva lot more work than anybody else and usually gets some economic benefit as a result...Then again, I could sell my 16 stands and each member could furnish 4 tripods/shooting houses at $200-$300 a pop...I could sell me tractor and we could rent a tractor, disc, bushhog, spreader, trailer for $200-$250 per day X 10 days a year that I spend doing tractor work on this club...Add those numbers up CC and see what you come up with...

As for "one television show", my thoughts on deer hunting stratgey result from trial and error...This place has lots of fields...You cannot get to the woods edge for bowhunting purposes without spooking the deer out of the field before daylight or them seeing you in the daytime...Been there, done that...

As for Sasquatch, there is no doubt that Raymond-Utica-Bolton-Edwards is a trophy area...Lots of ag land for good nutritrion, lots of creeks for cover...Plenty of mini farms around where there is no hunting and mostly trophy hunters...In fact, BRHC is bordered by trophy hunters only on two sides and roads on the other...This is a similar recipe to southern Madison County where monsters get killed in neighborhoods every year. Plus being ag land, the deer are somewhat used to humans in the fields. Why break the field/woods barrier in such a situation? Hang around the edge of the field by the road and bust em at 200-300 yards. That takes a well placed shot and until you have done it, you dont realize the difference in 100-200 yard shots and 300 yard shots, much less 400 yard shots. Particualrly on big bucks.

I'm getting fired up just thinking and foruming about it. I wish deer season opened tomorrow.

HAMMER
crowder critter
Duck South Addict

Postby crowder critter » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:02 pm

i do my own plots, i dont rely on others to do my part. I pay my share and do my part of the work, and i would expect the same out of others. Why charge your hunting buddies to use your equipment when you could all pitch in and get it done because most people i know that hunt have their own or have access to equipment also.
weimhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby weimhunter » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:10 pm

I thought you had to get a OK from Micah before you could post a lease. Then you have to pay a small amount. Every time I did this it got yanked. I guess Micah has scared the moderators! :lol:
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Heck leases galore now...they'd be too busy yankin em. Let em play.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:34 pm

Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:47 pm

Hye CC:

If you made $150-$200 per hour as a lawyer or twice that as a doctor, how much time would you spend on a tractor? Many clubs have paid managers and I dont see you dawging them, yet I want $1500 worht of value for mny time, equipment, etc and you dawg me?

Hey Chopper 30:

You ever hunted out West? 400-500 shots are routine..I took a cow elk at 550 yards and pronghorn buck at 336 yards...We drank a toast late into the night saluting both the shot and the critter...I guess every Western gun hunter is a wuss?

There are about 200,000 gun hunters in MS and no more than 50,000 bow hunters so you boys are outnumbered 4:1...The bowhunters kill about 25,000 deer, the gun hunters kill about 300,000 deer so the bow boys arent coming close to doign their part on QDMA...I suspect it is the bow boys that want to bait wiht corn in the mistaken belief they will lure those trophies in...Talk about skybusting...

Its my club and I'll run it the way I see fit. As Sportsmen 450 can attest, I've got the public land 155 wiht muzzleloader to back it up. Helluva deer but I am equally proud of the 132 I killed and the 145 a member killed last year at BRHC casue that was the result of outwitting the deer, not getting lucky. Sure you make your own luck but do you honestly think the 12 year old kid that killed the 200"+ deer in DNF is a better hunter than I am? This is about CRAFT and the CRAFT of deer hunting is equally legitimate with rifle, bow, musket, pistol, spear (see Ted Nugent), blowgun or slingshot. It is about doing everything you can to get the odds in your favor. Show me your Mississippi B&C bow kill and I'll bid you a crodial adieu...Until then, pizz off.

Two final questions: Did you kill the 150 with your bow? Care to wager how many PMs I've gotten in response to my post?

HAMMER
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:50 pm

We have a bow hunting only club that me and my dad are in. It has been bow hunting only for the past 4 years and there are some bombers out there now. There were two bucks killed this year that grossed over 175. To say that by hunting with a gun over fields is going to improve your chance at killing a B&C buck is stupid. Yes, if one were to walk out at 200 yards you would deffinately have a chance of killing him, but B&C's dont get that big by just walking out into food plots during the middle of the day. This usually happens during the rut, the same time that bowhunters have a chance at killing their big bucks every year. Now, are you gonna pass up a 140 or 150 class deer with your gun next season when he walks out into your green field...hell no, i hope not. But see, that 140 or 150 will never become a B&C. To me, there is nothing more rewarding or satisfying than killing a big buck with a bow. Sure, my biggest deer has been with a rifle, but it cant hold a candle to my biggest bow buck.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:01 pm

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:09 pm

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 pm

BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

d

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:11 pm

Well for one I say let a man kill em how he wants to within the law. I think the club sounds great, fair price, and I wouldnt pay for a membership either if I did the leg work to start the club, I only have a problem when he says that bow hunting ruins the big buck hunting, I just cant seem to get this out of my thick skull, Every place I have ever hunted the deer went nocturnal when the first hunters started capping the high powered rifles, then slowly the does would get accustommed to the loud shots and by then the rut was coming, when the rut pushed on the big boys started chasing, rarely have I seen big deer killed until the rut, and no I aint in big buck country to make these evaluations but I m just saying big bucks in proportion to our area. Also how many times have you'll read in numerous hunting mags that most mature bucks are prodomitaly nocturnal year round until the rut, I think the game cams of today can attest to this, most of the big boys are captured at night, so I wouldnt be saying bow season pushed them nocturnal.
The other point I would make is that if five guys kill the does and maybe one of the qualifying bucks, thats a lot of activity as well, many loud shots, fourwheelers running around, people tracking deer from misplaced shots (wouldnt get 5 expert marksman and guest to match.) just overall enough stuff going on to push the big boys nocturnal, then the hunter would wait for the hot does to get the big boys running, this doesnt sound much different than bow guys pushing them nocturnal after possible taking a qualifying buck and some does. just my opinion.

After further review I think Mr. Hammer probably doesnt care for bow hunting, and would rather not have any competition prior to nov. which is also his perogative as club manager.
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

f

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:38 pm

here is an article that confirms the point I was trying to make about how the bucks are primarily nocturnal anyway.
http://www.deerhunters.net/qdm/scrapes2.htm

The only other thing that I would agree with is, if he told me that there was a 2000 acre bow hunting only club next to him, than all his big bucks ran over there during rifle season
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
Hammer
Veteran

Postby Hammer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 am

Micah
Site Admin

Postby Micah » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:27 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”