6.8 SPC for deer hunting?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

6.8 SPC for deer hunting?

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Here is a report on the 6.8 SPC for a hunting round. I finally got a chance to get back into the woods after a couple year drought. When my son opted not to go, I snuck his Thompson Center Contender with 6.8 SPC barrel and Dixie Precision Suppressor to the woods. About 5:10 a good sized doe stepped into the gasline at about 160 - 170 yards out. I lined up the little 2x7x33 Redfield and pulled the trigger. She tucked tail and ran and I was pretty sure I heard her crash, but by her reaction, I thought I might have hit her a little far back. I stepped out of the blind and walked to the truck and waited about 30 minutes. I spent about 5 minutes looking for blood in the gas line before I stepped into the woods to see if I could find her. It didn't take long to find the big white belly. She had run about 30 yards before crashing. The shot hit her right behind the front shoulder and had a good exit hole just in front of the other shoulder (she was quartering away from me at the time of the shot). I am very pleased with the 6.8 as a hunting round. I was shooting the .27 caliber Hornady 120 grain SST. For shots out to about 200 yards, this is a great little round for kids and adults! :)
Attachments
20171122_180351.jpg
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: 6.8 SPC for deer hunting?

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:00 am

Looks like a sweet little setup. Guessing recoil is minimal.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Yes recoil is actually less than a .243 but your sending a larger/heavier bullet downrange, Here is a couple of comparisons. Most experts agree, once you get over 15 lbs or recoil, it starts to effect your accuracy. My latest acquisition is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact in 6.8 Rem which is pretty rare. It was in the truck, but I didn't have time to sight it in before heading to the stand, so I took the TC 6.8 instead.

Cartridge Rifle Weight Recoil
6.8mm SPC (115 at 2625) 7.5 8.0
.243 Win. (100 at 2960) 7.5 8.8
7mm-08 (120 at 3000) 7.5 12.1
7mm-08 (140 at 2860) 8.0 12.6
.308 Win. (150 at 2800) 7.5 15.8
.308 Win. (165 at 2700) 7.5 18.1
.308 Win. (180 at 2610) 8.0 17.5
.270 Win. (130 at 3140) 8.0 16.5
.270 Win. (140 at 3000) 8.0 17.1
.270 Win. (150 at 2900) 8.0 17.0
.30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910) 8.0 17.6
.30-06 Spfd. (165 at 2900) 8.0 20.1
.30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700) 8.0 20.3

Here is some interesting info on recoil

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; that is one of the physical laws of our universe. This means that the momentum of a rifle's reaction will exactly equal the momentum of the bullet and powder gasses ejected from the barrel. In the shooting sports we call that reaction recoil or "kick." It can be measured or computed empirically and has been for this recoil table.

Do not forget that rifle weight is a crucial factor in the recoil equation, inversely proportional to recoil. Increase the gun weight by, say, 25% and the recoil goes down by 25%. In the real world, firearms chambered for less powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than firearms chambered for more powerful cartridges. Violate this principle by, for example, chambering a lightweight, short action rifle for a powerful Magnum cartridge like the .300 WSM and the result will be a dramatic increase in kick. Just because it can be done does not mean it makes sense, despite what you might read in advertising copy. Choose a rifle weight appropriate for the loads you intend to shoot.

However, perceived recoil, what the shooter feels, is a highly subjective matter. In addition to gun weight, it is influenced by many factors. One of the most important of these is the fit and shape of the rifle stock. A good recoil pad can help soften the blow to the shooter's shoulder. Gas-operated semi-automatic actions reduce apparent recoil by spreading it over a longer period of time. These sorts of things cannot be accounted for in a recoil table. Also, please understand that there are dozens of loads for any given bullet weight in any cartridge that will produce the same velocity, but a different amount of recoil. So the figures in any recoil table should be taken as approximate. Never-the-less, the table below should give a reasonably accurate comparison of the recoil of most popular rifle cartridges.

It is worth remembering that the majority of authorities agree that recoil of over twenty foot pounds will cause most shooters to develop a serous flinch, which is ruinous to bullet placement (the prime component of killing power). Fifteen foot pounds is probably about the maximum recoil energy most shooters feel reasonably comfortable with, particularly at the shooting range, where most serious marksmanship practice occurs.

While recoil energy determines how hard the blow to the shoulder feels, recoil velocity determines how abrupt the blow to the shoulder feels. My subjective impression is that, with a well designed stock, recoil velocity above about 10 fps begins to feel like a sharp rap on the shoulder rather than an abrupt push.

In 1909, the British Textbook of Small Arms stated that 15 ft. lbs. of free recoil energy was the maximum allowable for a military service rifle. (The standard British .303 Lee-Enfield infantry rifle was below that figure, as are most service rifles to this day. This should tell you something.) The 1929 edition of the same textbook stated, in addition, that recoil velocity should not exceed 15 fps; above that velocity a gun-headache was very likely to occur. These figures remain practical maximums for the modern hunter.

Above this level recoil becomes increasingly intrusive. In addition, the effects of recoil are cumulative. The longer you shoot, and the harder the rifle kicks, the more likely you are to flinch. These are good things to remember when comparing rifle cartridges.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Very interesting. I have been using 30.06 since I was a kid until I picked up a 308 savage aXis for really cheap last year. I had been wanting to go to a lighter recoil gun. I sold it after the season as I found it too light and decided I wanted something with a heavier barrel, better stock, and threaded. Right now I am leaning towards the savage hog hunter in 308. After seeing that chart I may have to look into the 7mm08 a little more.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm

I think stock fit probably contributes a +/- factor of 50% to those numbers. It is that important.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:07 pm

-George Washington
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 am

Cwink, where does Remmington's Managed Recoil 7mm-08 round fit into your above chart in terms of recoil?

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:49 pm

-George Washington
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 pm

I really like the 6.8.

I don’t have one personally but my boss does in AR and it’s bad to the bone. I’ve got him shooting 120 SST’s also. That bullet is purpose built for the 6.8 as a “big game” and it does a great job.

I have a 30 caliber AR wildcat based off the 6.8 case and it’s also bad to the bone. I call it the super blackout. I’m shooting a 125 Speer TNT varmint bullet at 2600 ft./sec.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:41 pm

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

-George Washington
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 am

I built a rifle, for my wife, and I debated between the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel for a few weeks. Both looked great but the 6.5 won out on ammo options, at the time, and a Shilen Match barrel, with matching Alexander Arms bolt, being on sale. :lol:

After finishing it, I liked it so much that I started using it instead of my M&P 10.

It has had a few things removed since this pic was taken. Bipod and vertical grip get removed for hunting. Weighs just over 9 pounds, loaded.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Grendel is much mo betta.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”