tracking a deer year after year

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

tracking a deer year after year

Postby teul2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:28 am

I've got a good buck on camera last week and went back through old pictures to try and ID him. I can't seem to positivly ID him though. So it got me wondering about distinct antler traits and how / if they carry year to year.

This deer is 130in 10pt and has a crab claw on his left side. The only one with a crab claw last year was about 90-100in 8pt. So I'm wondering if a deer can gain that much mass in a year, and if things like a crab claw tend to carry year to year?
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: tracking a deer year after year

Postby donia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am

at the camp I used to be in, there were at least 3 deer killed with the same 2 character traits in the antlers. the first was a shallow bowl type depression at the same place on each and the second was a small dip at the end of one of the tines (about 2" from the end). we're almost positive they are from the same genetic line b/c the racks were overall similar, with minute variations.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
JW520

Postby JW520 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:11 pm

How old do you think he is? I have seen deer make a jump like that from year to year for sure
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I think he's 3, probably 4. He doesn't have the "roman" nose of the older deer on the place. but he's a good buck. I didn't get a good view of the body as he clipped the edge of the camera (I really needed to adjust it). Had a great view of his antlers just before this in the video.
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 9.35.11 PM.png
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 pm

If he's coming into his prime and there's been good browse, a buck could make a jump in class like that. It may just be his prime time and he's the new BDoC!
Never assume.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Where I think this was him last year.
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 9.48.16 PM.png
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:08 am

I'll trade you a duck hunt for a deer hunt..... :mrgreen:
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:56 am

I'd like to know the answer to this also. Not a good view of him this year (intentionally I'm guessing), but I wouldn't think that's the same deer, but I'm not a good one to ask as I just started using trail cameras about 4 years ago. I don't think the crab claw trait is the main indicator though. That trait is pretty common in our herd.

I've not been successful tracking deer year to year like some folks can, but I do have one on camera this year that could be one I had on camera last year. If so, it did improve, but not as big of a jump as Joel described above.

We should bring ole TLR back. I bet he can tell us beyond the shadow of a doubt whether it's the same deer.

Good stuff Joel. The kind of stuff that once was the norm on the board. Hopefully it will return to those days soon!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”