going OCD on your scent

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

going OCD on your scent

Postby teul2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:15 am

So, if you were going to absolutely go obsessive compulsive on your scent before going into the woods, what would you do. I mean all bases, clothes, body, weapon, everything you carry into the woods with you.

I can't get into the woods on this one place without getting busted no matter how slow and sneaky I go. The place is loaded with deer (as witnessed by the camera pictures), but after I get busted, I don't see jack. So I am wanting to hear what you all think/ do to see how far out of line I am and if I need to change what I am doing.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
levi127
Duck South Addict

Re: going OCD on your scent

Postby levi127 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:26 am

Doe urine poured around stand. I usually drag a cloth behind me with scent stuff on it also.
Dead down wind has worked good also.
I always use those sent clips also on jacket and stand. Get like 3 in a little tube at Walmart. Always seem to help me be unknown!
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Joel, is possible to use the wind to help you get to the stand?
I honestly am not sold that there is anything man made that can trick the keen sense of smell of a smart whitetail. I am a sucker for all the so called "scent eliminating" products, but not so sure it really works to be honest. I use soap, deodorant, and scent free spray on my body & wash and dry my clothes with "scent free" crap, then use "doe urine" drag to the stand. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even real pee!
I know folks that absolutely will not go into certain areas unless there's a certain wind.
Maybe you can get an ozonics system and mount it to you head on the way in. They say that thing works.
Last edited by eSJay on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:11 pm

limit human activity in an area as much as possible
only go in and out of the area when the wind is in your favor (blowing your scent away from their bedding/feeding area)
when hunting avoid exhaust fumes, stay away from gas, try to not ride 4 wheeler in and out
I bathe with scent free soaps before the hunt
wash all my clothes in scent free soaps and earth scent dryer and then place in a scent free plastic bag
before walking to my stand I put all my scent free clothes on and spray myself down with a cover scent (usually earth scent)
I have also started hunting more out of shooting houses which I think help mask scent (and movement/noise)
distance yourself from where the deer are expected as much as possible

I dont do this but know people that clear paths through the leaves to their stand with a rake so they are quieter going in..

never hunt a stand if the wind is not right!!

but ultimately I think it boils down to sheer luck, being at the right place at the right time :)
Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:44 pm

Always have the wind in your favor and try (if possible) take a different route chances are they are not winding you, they have patterned you and know where you park what you drive and every step you are going to take going to your stand or blind. I have changed my route less than 50 yards and literally walked up on deer in the same area I would get busted in before. May have been luck but it's worth a try
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Always have the wind in your favor and try (if possible) take a different route chances are they are not winding you, they have patterned you and know where you park what you drive and every step you are going to take going to your stand or blind. I have changed my route less than 50 yards and literally walked up on deer in the same area I would get busted in before. May have been luck but it's worth a try
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:57 am

The place is 140 acres of hills and hollows. I really can't pinpoint one area they are bedding in as I think they bed in all of the more narrow bottoms. Seems I have found beds all over. I generally walk in on ridges to avoid the possible beds in the bottoms. I always sneak in. 5 to 10 slow quiet steps, then pause and listen / look depending on light /time of day. I have thought about going in and cleaning all my trails off some to be quieter. but will do that in the off season.

My disclaimer to this is, I have never put much stock into being a good deer hunter. Always been a duck hunter, and I never had a place to myself to hunt before. i picked up this lease because of the birds and got roped in with trail cam pictures. There are a PILE of does. I may need to start whacking them to help.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Something you might consider Joel. If there is not a strong prevailing wind then thermals are in charge. When the slope heats up the breeze draws up hill. When the slope is cold at daylight and close to dark thermals drift down hill. Regardless of what the weather says I think you will find this to be true in the hills.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:30 pm

I was sitting on a hill side this afternoon wondering about that very thing. The wind was doing circles on me with no real constant.
Thanks JLT
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:41 am

I know it is frustrating, but sometimes there is just nothing that you can do, and I am of the belief that you can't beat a deer's nose. I have tried everything from soaps and sprays to the ozonics(now I don't do anything at all). Seems like sometimes that stuff works and sometimes it doesn't. I am interested in knowing more about thermals, but haven't taken much time to study them yet. I know some of the most frustrating times I have had with the wind is in the mountains out west when we are elk hunting. It seems like it is 10x worse out there, but you can usually count on the thermals early and late.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm

Wind Wind Wind.....if you don't play it you will loose. You can buy allthe scent killer for you and your clothes that you want....if you do not use the wind to yur advantage you will not win the battle.

My dad smoked while hunting.....he played the win and he won.

Also remember on hills you have to play the wind and thermals.... https://www.qdma.com/articles/to-beat-a ... r-thermals
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:30 pm

what everyone has said is good stuff. in addition to that, I use something called 33 point buck (worst name ever) from Vapor trails scent. it's a cover scent an attractant. first time i used it, I had a doe downwind of me follow the scent to the stand and then eat a Styrofoam cup that the scent had gotten on. I've also had deer eat sticks that the scent got on. and I haven't had a deer blow at me since I started using it, which has probably been 25+ hunts on a property slam full of deer.

so I would add that to your arsenal.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Does it smell like vanilla Law Dog?
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:01 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Where do you get this elixir that you speak of
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated

Return to “General Discussion Forum”