The Great Caliber Debate

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

The Great Caliber Debate

Postby cwink » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 am

I am sort of a caliber junkie and ballistics nut.. So I put this together for our Old Pearl Game Management Facebook Page..

Hope you enjoy..

The timeless caliber debate - As we get closer to November folks will start to think about new gear for the upcoming season. And sometimes that includes new hunting rifles. Usually the first question poised by any potential new purchaser is "What caliber should I choose?" Just about everyone has a favorite and they are more than willing to share their opinion on the subject. As I was rummaging through my ammo box the other day I decided to do a side by side comparison of many of the popular (and not so popular) rifle rounds. Here is a listing of the cartridges (pictured below from left to right) and why I like them.

1. 223 Remington - While many think this cartridge is primarily a varmint round or AR round it is also an adequate whitetail round with the right bullet out to about 150 yards. This one Winchester 64 grain powerpoint that is designed for thin skinned, medium sized game, aka deer! With a muzzle velocity of over 3,000 fps it is more than capable of poking two holes through the boiler room of any southern whitetail.

2. 300 Blackout Supersonic - Built off the 223 Remington case is the newest kid on block. The 300 Blackout was designed to deliver a more powerful defensive round from the AR styled rifles. It is capable of pushing a 100+ grain bullet at round 2,000 fps. This is just shy of the performance of the old 30-30 but this new cartridge allows you to choose a bolt action rifle or AR styled rifle.

3. 300 Blackout Subsonic - Usually loaded with 200+ grain bullets these loads stay under the sound barrier and are perfect for suppressed ARs or bolt action. While the 300 Blackout was designed for military purposes, it also makes a great youth round because of it's light recoil and muzzle blast. Just make sure you keep the shots under the 200 yard mark.

4. 22-250 - While considered by most to be a varmint round, the 22-250 is also a capable whitetail round. In fact most ammo manufactures load CPX2 game rounds for the 22-250. Federal loads a 60 grain Nosler that is screening out of the barrel at 3,500 fps. At 200 yards the bullet is still traveling at over 2600 fps and has a 972 foot pounds of energy.

5. 6.8 SPC - Another new cartridge developed to improve the military performance of the .223. The 6.8 SPC never really caught on. It is a 27 Caliber (think 270) round that can propel a 120 grain bullet at over 2,500 fps. This essentially replicates the ballistics of the 30-30 with less felt recoil. I think this is often a overlooked round that is perfect for youths. It is one of the only cartridges that fills the gap between the .223 and the .243.

6. 30-30 - Nothing new here. Just the timeless 30 Caliber round that has probably put more venison on the table than any other round out there. Hornady breathed new life into this cartridge with the advent of the LEVERevolution line. Giving the old classic more velocity and flatter trajectory.

7. 6mm Rem - This red headed step child of the .243 is one of my all time favorites. Introduced about the same time as the .243, it was originally called the .244. However, twist rates in the original production guns would not stabilize "deer sized" bullets. Remington soon realized the issues and re-branded it the 6mm but by that time, the .243 had already cemented itself as the dual purpose varmint/whitetail round, even thought the 6mm outperforms the

8. The 308 Family - The .308 was originally developed by the military to replace the 30-06. It's goal was to replicate the performance of the 30-06 but in a smaller lighter case and that could be shot out of smaller lighter rifle. The adventure was a huge success as the .308 is not only smaller, lighter than the 30-06 it also has a shorter bolt throw, has less recoil and is generally more accurate, and it only gives up about 200 fps to the old 30-06. The next 5 cartridges represent most of the .308 Family Tree, with the exception being the 338 Federal. In this group is the .243 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm08 Rem, .308 Win and .358 Win. While all of them are different calibers (24,26,28,30 and 35 caliber) there is not much these cartridges can't do. The .243 with bullets weights from 58-100 grains is a true dual purpose rifle cartridge. The .260 and 7mm08 are 26 and 28 caliber whitetail hunters dreams. These two rounds are flat shooting, low recoiling and will not only handle any deer on the planet, the 7mm08 is comparable to the 280 Remington and is adequate for any hoofed animal in North America. The final family member not mentioned so far is the not so popular.358 Win. This is the counterpart to the 35 Whelen. With bullet weight ranging from 180 to 250 grains, this overlooked cartridge is more than enough for any North American animal when ranges are less than 200 yards..

9. The 30-06 Family - In this group is the 25-06, 270, and 30-06. Other family members not pictured are the 280 and 35 Whelen. The 30-06 is the most popular big game caliber in the western hemisphere and is a capable of taking any animal walking this side of the planet. The 25-06 is another wonderful dual purpose varmint/medium game cartridge. The 270 is probably the most popular whitetail round in use today. The 280 shines on larger hoofed animals, and the 35 Whelen is Big Bear medicine.
So there you have it. A collection of oddball cartridges mixed with two of the greatest cartridge families. As long as the hands of time continue to turn, the debate will continue as to which is the best. In my opinion, with the right bullet, good marksmanship, and average hunting distances. any of the "oddball" cases are just as capable on deer as the more popular 308 and 30-06 family trees. My favorite for hunting "South of the Mason Dixon Line" would be the .308 family, but with the bigger body weights, larger teeth,and longer claws found in the Northern U.S. and Canada I would opt of the 30-06 family.
Attachments
RC2s.jpg
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: The Great Caliber Debate

Postby teul2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 am

Good stuff Chad.
Here is your pic, with labels. It was a little hard to follow your text with the image w/o these (yes, i am a special needs kid).

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:51 am

You forgot to mention the 22 magnum for the outlaws in the group :lol:
Peewee
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:27 pm

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:39 pm

If youre not sending a 150 grain, 7mm projectile down range at 3,110 fps, you're wrong!
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Great stuff man, but, I LOVE my .444...everywhere...every season :mrgreen:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:33 pm

^^^same here!!! .444 is always first option....questionable length of distance is the only factor that warrants .270, any more.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 pm

davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 pm

tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:34 am

Good post. Should generate some discussion. Some folks fall in the "Speed Kills" circle and like the 22-250s and such. Others like the "bigger is better" and prefer to lob punkins at em. I am a fence rider. Some days I want a 308 and other days I want to hand load 110 grain barnes tsx for my 7mm mag and shoot them at 3600 fps. :D
There will be a day....
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:22 am

-George Washington
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 am

Speed kills, and I just can't say enough good about my 7mag. That's just me though.
tdog
Veteran

Postby tdog » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30 am

Good read, friend of mine named Bryce Towsley is a resident gun nut, he has wrote several books on everything bullet oriented is guiding me through a build of a bolt action .35 whelen. Its gone be a straight up killer when I'm done.
Ain't nothin' gonna stop me now but my innate inability to progress conganacious
thunk.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:36 am

-George Washington
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

Wow!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”