What to do...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Take 'em
Veteran

What to do...

Postby Take 'em » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:10 am

Say you are hunting a food plot, acorn flat, or whatever your set may be knowing you have a couple shooters on camera and right at last shooting light you see a said shooter and other deer start easing your way. By the time they make it to bow range, shooting light is gone and it's pitch black. What is y'all's opinion on best way to exit stand? Climb down with no flash light on, use flash light, try and wait them out hoping they leave soon, drop something out of the stand to spook them in a somewhat natural way...etc?? Do y'all think one way is better than another or what do you mostly do?
"When the season is over and you have $11.97 in your bank account you know you did 'er as hard as you could." -Kelley Powers
"Here comes 5 singles flying together!" -Dustin Anderson
yourmanwm75
Veteran

Re: What to do...

Postby yourmanwm75 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:36 pm

I've always wondered the same thing. The waiting them out really don't work in my opinion. They may stay there feeding for hours if not spooked.
johndavid78
Veteran

Postby johndavid78 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 pm

If hunting with someone else on lease, I will have them come to me to run the deer off
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

I have a friend that carries his jack russell terrier to the shooting house with him and after dark he turns the dog out to run them off.. His rational is deer are less likely to be spooked by a dog as compared to human activity. Works for him because he kills several HUGE deer a year!!
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:56 am

I had always wondered the same thing and finally had this happen to me on my first hunt this season. I was hunting an oak bottom where the point of two ridges come together. I had 3 bucks walk in and start eating within 20 yds of me right at last light, 1 of which was my target buck. I have had pictures of this buck for 4 years and this was the first time I had ever laid eyes on him. I could only see the outline of their horns as the canopy above made it darker than it was. I sat there until 7:45 hoping they would move out but they never did. I was really afraid if I got down and spooked they myself they would never come back. The only deer sound I could think that would maybe not spook them as bad was to snort wheeze as blowing might spook them out of the area for a while. I snort wheezed a couple of times and I heard them trot off so I got down and left immediately. Luckily I had a cam running in the area and I pulled it yesterday. They were back in there 2 hrs after I bumped them out. I had been worried the past 2 weeks thinking they may never return.
SHERMANATOR

Return to “General Discussion Forum”