How often?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

How often?

Postby missed mallards » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 am

Really odd question, but I have reasons to wonder.

How often do ya'll see coons, possums, foxes, yotes, and cats on the stand?

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between seeing "other animals" and not seeing deer. Odd, maybe. I have just begun to wonder if it has something to do with it. It's almost escalated to being a joke, in not a funny way. Don't get me wrong, I've had the pleasure to watch a grey fox, 2 bobcats, and over 27 coons this year. It's been eventful, yet, very uneventful.

I'm starting to think, I need to rethink my sets. I'm kind of at a loss. I may need to pick up varmint hunting or something.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: How often?

Postby teul2 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 am

Had a coon walk in front of me at 30 yards Saturday afternoon. With in 10 minutes had a deer behind me at 40.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Do not know the numbers or science behind it....but countless times I have had "Ole Smiley" the opossum come thru a few minutes before dark. Seems there is a certain connection with Smiley = no deer, or no wildlife in general. I have seen deer come in front of and behind coons, turkeys, coyotes, bobcats, coveys of quail, squirrels, armodillas, feral cats, otters, etc, etc. Definite difference once Smiley enters the scene. Birds quit chirping, squirrels quit rustling, woods go dead. Call it the curse of Smiley. Honestly I have left a spot 5 minutes before dark just because Smiley is there. Doom! Once was hunting a particular persimmon that was loaded down with fruit, a year when other trees just did not seem to produce, but this one was hot. Not even a big fan of hunting persimmon trees but the deer sign at this one was too good to pass up. About 4:20 a family of coons (5) show up and begin to devour the orange fruit on the ground. Quickly they move to the better source and start climbing the persimmon tree 10 yards in front of me. About 5:00 I hear walking noises heading my way. I stand up and grab bow from limb thinking my shot is on his way. Here comes Ole Smiley. DANG! He approaches the tree in his slow methodical wallowing paying no attention to the occupants above. The coons on the other hand are paying very close attention to their soon to be guest. As the opossum ascends the tree all eyes are upon him. The coons are at different levels up the tree, each one having went out on their own limb to satisfy their hunger. As Smiley, no doubt heading to top of said tree, heads up the main trunk, each coon is watching without so much as a blink. Each limb Smiley passes that has a coon sitting in it as Smiley goes vertical, that particular coon would then go back to the main trunk and descend down. Finally having passed the last coon, Smiley himself ventures out on a limb to grab some friut. The last coon heading down and reaching the ground, the family moves off. They wanted nothing, I mean nothing to do with Smiley. He is an outcast. No one wants anything to do with him. Does it bother Smiley??? I do not think so. But this is for sure...if he shows up at your spot a little before dark, you are done. Go ahead and pack it in. Tell the wife or girlfriend you wanted to come out of the woods early cause you missed them or something. Use it to your advantage. It may be the only good thing Smiley ever does for you :wink:
Are we gonna get wet?
JoHo
Veteran

Postby JoHo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Sounds like Smiley needs to walk into an arrow!
Proverbs 3:5-6

Magnolia Madison Cay- "Maddie"
HR Rogue River Raffle Tickette - "Tickette"
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Sounds like you need to get a few dog proof traps and some honey buns.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Discussion Forum”