New Youth Rounds

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

New Youth Rounds

Postby cwink » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Every year about this time Dad's start searching for the perfect youth rifle to get their kids out in the woods. It is always a debate on exactly which rifle/caliber combination works best, especially for those kids under 12. Too much recoil could scare the new hunter off, not enough bang could lead to a frustrated youth and/or an injured animal. For years the basic choices and debates have been centered on the .223 Rem, .243 Win, or 7mm08 Rem. While I firmly believe a well constructed well placed 60+ grain .22 caliber bullet traveling upwards of 3,200 FPS is plenty for Southern Whitetails, most Dad's opt for the heavier recoiling .243Win or 7mm08 in the 100 to 140 grain bullets. However there are some new and exciting alternatives out there.

The recent surge in AR platform aka, Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR), and the request for a better option than the .223 or 5.56 NATO rounds for our Military has brought some new faces to the caliber cache. Two of my favorite are the 6.8 Rem SPC and the 300 AAC Blackout. These two options fill the void between the .223 and the .243 very nicely. Both are available in heavier bullet weights than the .223 and .243 and are both low pressure rounds that have more manageable recoil. The smaller of the two is the 300 Blackout. It is essentially a .223 case necked up to .30 Caliber. It was designed specifically to be fired out of suppressed MSR but is also available in bolt action rifles. It is capable of firing a 130 Grain bullet at about 2,000 FPS and has similar ballistics to the old 30-30 lever action rifles of days gone by. The 6.8 Rem SPC is a little hotter round and is capable of firing a 120 grain .27 Caliber bullet over 2,200 FPS.

While both of these rounds do have their limitations and are at most 200 yard deer rifles, I am anxious to get out in the field this year and do some real life testing with these two cartridges. If nothing else, they are excuses to get another rifle, you know for Jr. :D :D

Rounds Pictured Left to Right
55 Grain .223 Rem
130 Grain 300 AAC Blackout
120 Grain 6.8 SPC
100 Grain .243 Win
170 Grain 30-30

Rifle - Remington Micro 7 in 300 AAC Blackout
Attachments
YR.jpg
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: New Youth Rounds

Postby teul2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Yup, my 3 year old need a suppressed AR in 300 ACC! :D :D :D
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Attachments
3030.jpg
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 pm

:shock:
Where'd who go?
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:53 am

What $$$$ can one of those be had for??
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:13 pm

-George Washington
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 am

The 300 AAC. I didn't realize you could buy 'em. Looks like a solid gun for the little ones.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:12 pm

After reading your post last year.......I took a encore pro hunter frame and ordered a MGM barrel in 6.8spc. I found a Choate M4 adjustable stock and put on it. I bought a Kahles scope off of this site and put on it. It's a bad little gun for my 6 and 8 year old boys. I bought like 5 different rounds for it at Cabela's and have yet to decide which I like the best.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:20 am

-George Washington
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 am

-George Washington
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:10 am

I don't remember which site I found it and ordered it from.......but I'd order directly from Choate in the future. There was an issue with mine when I got it of a screw extending through the plastic into the chamber where the frame is screwed in. I called the company which I ordered it from and they made me call Choate. Choate was very nice, but the lady was real direct with me that I needed to call the people I bought it from. After going back and forth I had to send back to people I bought it from and they ground the screw down instead of sending me a new one.........b/c it was the only one they had in stock.

They lady at Choate told me to order directly from them in the future and they'll pretty much replace anything with a new one with no hassle.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”