White oaks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
davidees
Duck South Addict

White oaks

Postby davidees » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm just getting back into bow hunting this year after about a 15 year layoff. That being said, I've been spending many hours in the woods scouting. I've been finding persimmons and trying to find white oaks, but haven't seen any acorns. Can you see them in the trees right now? How can you tell what the acorn crop is like? Do yall have a lot of acorns where you are? What else should I be looking for?
Duckpro12
Regular

Re: White oaks

Postby Duckpro12 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Yes. You could see acorns on trees but they could be to small with naked eye. Flowering usually occurs March to April depending where you are in the state. Once pollination occurs takes 120 days for acorns to mature and then a few weeks until they drop. One thing about white oaks is sometimes they may not produce acorns every year. Some years they have a bumper crop. This various tree to tree. Might have 2 trees side by side and one produces one doesn't. I would highly recommend using binoculars when scouting. I have not been in my woods scouting but I have so many white oaks that there is always trees producing. You can look at red oaks and know what kind of acorn crop for next year but I'm going into that. Persimmon trees there are male and female trees and only the females produce fruit. I hope this helps.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 am

tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:08 am

The white oak in my yard is loaded this year. Last year it had only a small crop. They are easily visible right now.

I have had a lock on in some great persimmon trees over the last 10 years or so. With that said, I have had a couple of years in that time period when they did not produce. It can be frustrating when your honey hole dries up.
There will be a day....
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”