What do people look for in a Club

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bustercat64
Veteran

What do people look for in a Club

Postby bustercat64 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

What do people look for when they are searching for a new club? What is more important club house or land or what is the balance in the two. Over the last several years our club has been more aggressive in looking for members with basically no luck. We have to make a decision this year on some land that a club beside us might be dropping; do we pick it up or not is the question. Picking up more land and not any members will make it hard on everyone. The back ground on our club is dues are $1200 and we have around 17 members all leased land and all in one block, and we kill around 60 deer a year, some nice ones in the 130 range every year. The club is outside of Louisville (east) and one of the oldest in area. We have around 3500 acres now and looking into picking up 350 to 700 more . This is the only club I have ever been in so I have never really looked.
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: What do people look for in a Club

Postby donia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:07 pm

no drama!!! nothing worse than getting to drama camp when you thought you signed up for hunting camp!

imo - camphouse isn't important as land, at that price...once you get into $4 & 5k+, camphouse starts to mean more.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Curtdawg88
Veteran

Postby Curtdawg88 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm

lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 pm

If it's a camp look at the rules first and make sure you can live with what is expected. Then make sure there is a pres, vice, treasurer etc and board. In one now that is so drama packed due to not having one. This makes the camp not a camp. It becomes a one member camp with everyone else being a guest with no say. This happened in another camp I was a part of as well. They want your money as a member to foot the lease but don't want you to hunt or have input. Then they implement fines that go to their pockets etc since there is no view of the account. Good camps are structured!!!!!!!!! No high turnover!!!!!!! Rules apply to EVERYONE!!!!
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:47 am

DRAMA....is the key. I got out of a camp in Winona that I loved because of DRAMA. I go as a guest and its the same old bs everytime. I found my own land leased it and hand picked every member in it.....guess what NO DRAMA....now we have people beating the door down to get in. They come and see what we have and they want it. When you get like minded people together you will have no drama.
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 am

I agree on the drama. The best ran camp(s) I've ever seen were a dictatorship. One man laid down the rules. You either liked them and followed them, or if you didn't like them, you didn't get in the club. If you continously did not follow the rules, you were not invited back next year. Everyone was treated fair. I never knew of their being any problems. Everyone knew their opportunity to be in the camp was a privilege and not a right.
Scott Baker
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

All you guys were in clubs with drama...common demoniator seems to be you guys :wink:

Jus sayin...

the doc
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 am

Where'd who go?
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 pm

big deer, unselfish, good hunters. That's why I lease my own land. That combo is tough to find.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
spike mc
Veteran

Postby spike mc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 am

I run a camp and have to fill a few memberships each season. It's tough to find GOOD members but easy to find a/holes with dues. But here is what everyone wants.

A club with at least one thousand acres in a block, all in the Delta with duck hunting also, a club house that would qualify to be in Southern Living, a few hogs to shoot at, mostly virgin hardwood, very few members, good wheeler trails, box stands and food plots exsisting and planted, no rules that restrict who or how many guests I bring, consistently kill 150 plus bucks, no drinking or cussing when my kids or wife are present (but I may bring a prostitute next weekend), and the Lord's Prayer before sit down dinner followed by a tapestry of gd's around the fire by the same mouth. All for around 500 bucks.

Sounds like a crappy Golden coral commercial but that's what the bulk want.
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:31 pm

spike mc
Veteran

Postby spike mc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Guys ya got me. I clearly forgot about turkeys. So in retrospect. I want a place to turkey hunt too where I can kill a grand slam for about $100 bucks.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Lots of deer and not a lot of petty rules. Not interested in horns, just meat.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”