The Recipe for collapse

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: The Recipe for collapse

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:39 am

I would have to agree with the "it's about the money/marketing" theory. IMO not every property is going to produce monsters consistently. If you've got 170" 5yr old potential then that's what you've got. Managing for a 200" deer isn't going to be successful without the genetics. John Doe out there wants you to buy his "secret blend" food plot seed in the glossy bag to grow bigger deer. It's a waste. I'm not saying deer management is pointless, just that realistic management may be more fruitful. Then you add in outlaws, idiots, and poor hunting practices. At that point you just flush your management scheme down the drain.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 am

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 am

COON HUNTER
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Postby BIG TIMBER » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 pm

It's pretty simple, you want big mature bucks, DON'T shoot them at 3 yrs old.
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
blkdout
Veteran

Postby blkdout » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 pm

To go along with what you all are saying I believe some may be from pressure. Deer are seeing a lot more activity in the woods because of game cameras. I think more and more people are using them for a better part of the year and when you are going in checking them 1 a week it's going to push them into an area with less traffic. Just my .02. But have heard a lot of peoe talking about the deer harvest down this year compared to years past
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 am

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Postby BIG TIMBER » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:52 am

I don't know anything!! Just all hear say, but I will tell ya, you better start aiming for center mass instead of the face, probably work out better for you! :D
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:54 pm

I agree with you delta quack. One of the issues I have and will never understand is these camps where they only allow you to kill one buck the entire year. I can see where this would let every buck have the chance to reach 5.5 years old. But if you have a buck that is a 10" 6 pt at 3.5 years old that weighs 200 lbs chances are he will not be a booner,so why let him reproduce any longer. Now in this idea there maybe a 1 in 100 chance you kill a young deer that just has not developed normally, but the chances are worth taking in my opinion. The biggest issue with 85% of the camps in this state is they are asking members to check for things like age and certain measurements that people have NO IDEA what they are doing because they expect a 5.5 year old MS deer to look like the one Bill Jordan or whoever killed the night before on the outdoor channel.
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Peewee
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:02 am

Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus

Return to “General Discussion Forum”