The Recipe for collapse

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

The Recipe for collapse

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 am

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/publish ... lapse.html

I find this article to be accurate, and I think that is where our state is headed.

I've been drinking the State management Kool-Aid for years. time to try something else.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: The Recipe for collapse

Postby cwink » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 am

Just this morning I was having a conversation with a friend that hunts on Anderson Tully land on Steele Bayou. They had by far their worst season. They killed no bucks the camp north of them killed one bigger buck and two youth bucks(they have to be state legal for a youth) the camp south of them only killed one that he knew of and another friend of ours hunts over there and his camp only killed one or two and a youth buck. All of these camps usually kill 7-9 nice bucks a year. He seems to think that the deer are holding up in the thickets. Anderson's Tully came in a few years back and clear cut a 300 yard wide strip running east to west right in the middle of the camp and then 2 years ago clear cut a 40 acre block right behind the camp house. Now these areas are just huge thickets and they also have a strip 300 yards wide that runs north and south that is not a recent cutover but is still just one big thicket. Their deer and hog sightings were way down this year and talking to him this morning he seems to think they are just staying in the thickets. Said several times he caught glimpses of nice deer but they would never come out of the thickets. These camps have been on "big buck" programs for about 10 years now and it has changed several times. Currently they have to have 20" beams or 18" spread. When they went to these guidelines a while back(at the time it may have been 18" beams) I told him they ran the risk of high grading their genetics as they would probably shoot their best genetic carriers as 3 year olds and the less quality genetic carriers may never get shot. Not sure if that is what happened but just a theory of mine. I believe to have a true management program for trophy bucks you need to decide what is a cull for your camp and then only shoot mature bucks and culls not your high quality 3 year olds.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

The points the guys make are this:

Only does can give birth to Bucks

More bucks = better chance of having a bigger buck - "genetic freak"

More bucks = more sighting of bucks.

I'm not saying don't shoot does. I think you have to. but I don't think you have to massacre them. a state wildlife biologist told me this" "if I am growing big bucks, I don't even want a doe on my property "
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 am

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am

The whole thing is a money driven ball of crap. If you look back over time people have been killing big deer in this state for ever. The cutover statements are 100% correct of the 3 MOST important things any animal not just deer need to live a cutover gives 2 without a deer even standing up (cover and food). So the only thing he really has to get up to do is drink water. The new fad of genetics is of course driven by what we watch on tv ( me included). Deer are not different than average people and pro athletes, you either have it or you don't. If you kill the son of a 160 ten point when he is 3 years old and he only scores 130 he still has 160 " genes. I maybe wrong but this is my opinion. Sorry for the rant
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:03 pm

I agree with you completely, I guess my only solution to management is to do like some ranches in Texas you set guidelines of 8,10,12 are shooters and everything else is culls. Which is harder here than there because of visibility reasons. My stance on the whole management thing is shoot the bucks you see because there are just as many breeding that you don't see especially on a place that is 6k acres
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm

The root cause sited in the video is the same as the root cause of the problems mentioned in the thread -- an overall lack of deer relative to the past. Not everywhere is experiencing it, but lots of places are. I submit that these high grading claims and genetic complaints would be unnoticed if there were 30% more bucks to choose from in the first place. If I remember right, that was Winke's point.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm

We made the decision years ago to be a quality deer mgt place, not trophy Buck. A 14 inch deer on our place will be at least a 3 yo buck...The camp has good people and good amenities and is close, but when you cant get a deer to poke its head out of a cut over to let your 8 yo get a shot it gets frustrating fir sure
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 am

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 am

I can understand the big bucks staying hidden, but I have yet to understand what is keeping the does hidden.. I saw 1 doe all year and she was 400 yds off. Everything else has been little bucks.. We almost got him a small buck this past week.. Had a chance at one last Monday and this past Saturday afternoon, but just couldn't get him situated in the stand before we scared the bucks off...
-George Washington
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 am

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:25 am

It takes a very large deer herd to get to the point where they are struggling for food. I think people have gone a little overboard with the doe harvest numbers in some areas. The only advantage I can think of for having less does is that the bucks have to look for them harder so they move more at the same time if you don't have the does the bucks will go on somebody else's land that has does.
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:28 am

It's all according to what you want your place to be. If you want to see a bunch of deer everytime you go, then don't shoot a bunch of does. Just shoot a few to eat. And you will have a lot of deer, and they wont be as healthy as they might could be. You can still grow some nice racks, with the occasional really big deer. If you want the bucks on your place to have the biggest rack they can possibly grow, then you will have to have far fewer deer. If you are managing for 150+ deer, then you won't be seeing a bunch of deer when you hunt.

We have been hammering the does for years, playing catchup from several years of limited harvest. Body weights and antler size had dropped significantly. Which means they didn't have enough food. We are getting back on track and had a stellar season this year. Does are getting hard to come by these days, but that's the way it should be when you are trying to reduce the number of your herd.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”