Long range shooting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Long range shooting

Postby Dutch Dog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 pm

About 4-5 months ago, I bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical .308. The one with the Houge overmold stock that everyone complains about. I've been chomping at the bit to run some bullets down it and finally decided to take the scope off my Browning and mount it on the new 700 just so I could shoot it. The first 5 shot group was about an inch or so, after that the groups have done nothing but gotten tighter and tighter. Basically it shoots one ragged hole with one flyer. (that still puzzles me). This is with handloaded 168 gr BTHP SMK's pushed by 43.7 gr of Varget and either Remington or Lake City brass and Fed 210GM primers. Anyway, bone stock, no aftermarket anything done to this gun it's a tack driver. I shot it today at 600 yards in a pretty decent wind and ended up with my personal best 5 shot group at 600, I couldn't measure it, but put an empty hull next to it for relation. I'm guessing it's about a 5" group. If you get rid of the flyer up top it's about a 3" group.

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Re: Long range shooting

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 am

Good shooter Dutch...crap, I cant even see 600 yards :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 am

That's great for a factory gun. Which vortex scope is that? I have one of their spotting scopes and it's pretty nice.

I would consider going up on your powder charge. Or maybe lengthening your OAL. A Bit more pressure would possibly take the vertical out of that group. In theory a horizontal group is more stable over a long range because the bullet leaves the barrel at the same point everytime. Same point meaning that when it flexes and bows during recoil. Ymmv
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 am

The OAL is 2.800-2.802 depending on bullet, which is "max" OAL. I used that as a starting point because that is what the book had as max. I have one of those adapters that fit on the micrometer which measures off the ogive of the bullet vs tip....and these are basically 2.216 measured that way if memory serves me correctly. One thing about the Remingtons I'm coming to find out is they have a deep chamber and to get your bullet almost touching the lands it's just barely held in the bullet. Anything over 2.8 might not fit in the magazine although I haven't checked it. That group has vertical drift, my first group which was about a 7" group had just the opposite (left to right drift with only about 2" vertical.
You ask about the scope, it's a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44. I bought it for hunting mainly. That's one thing hindering my grouping a little as well, at distances like 600 yards it's hard to hold on an exact spot like I can at 100 yards due to only having 16 power. I'm probably gonna get their 6-24x50 version as soon as I can get the $$. One BIG thing I'm gonna do is get a Jewell trigger and have it set down around 1-1.5 lbs. The trigger, although it is adjustable is a little stout. I'd venture to say it's up in the 3.5 lb range, which is way heavy for target applications.
RE: powder charge, I've read that Varget likes to be loaded at or near max for best performance, I will be trying a heavier charge in the near future but I don't wanna run myself outta powder as this is the ONLY pound of it I've been able to find in the past year.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:19 pm

No doubt. If you find any more varget by me some.

A 1lb jewel is a beautiful thing

I usually try and find a horizontal group then start tinkering with the seating depth. Either that or keep going up on powder. Nosler saws 46g is max

cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Good shootin!

I just ordered the Viper 6-24x50 but it's on backorder. Going to start a 7mm rem mag build here soon on a savage action.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 am

I just paid $75 for 2lbs of Varget and was proud to get it.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 am

I found one pound and it was in the mid $20's probably closer to $30 after tax. I believe you're gonna like the scope, I like mine thus far...one thing I've noticed is that the parallax adjustment is slightly off...the 100 yard indicator isn't right for me, I can't remember where it gets right, but it's not on the 100 yard indicator on the dial at 100 yds...seems like it's slightly past 100 and the same thing at 200. I'm still relatively new to all this "long distance" stuff, I've shot some but nothing like I'm gonna do now. The biggest obstacle is finding powder...which has been the case for a year or better now.
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Not to steal your post but thought while we're talking long-range shooting...what rangefinder is everyone using? I need to get a nice one capable of at least 8-900yds. I know a bunch of guys like the Leica's but those are a little pricey for me right now. Any others out there that are decent and won't hurt the wallet as bad? Thought I'd just ask here instead of making another topic. Thanks.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am

The best part about it is that Dutch was shooting nude apparently...his jean jacket and jeans as his rests. :D
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 am

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am

I have a Nikon 1200. It world ok but the best add on is a small tripod. I got one from a BnP photo. It really helps keep it sturdy.

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm

FYI PowderValley has some Varget

update. Powdervalley HAD some Varget. Sold out in just a few hours

I got two lbs
8)

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 pm

I've found some Varget and H4895 that I'm gonna go get tomorrow morning.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am

Got them and some 165 gr hunting bullets as well as another 100 pack of the 168 gr SMK's.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”