Got my Buck

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Re: Got my Buck

Postby QUACKERS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Dam at the mass. Great buck I bet the night you and Chopper looked was sleepless !!!!! Congrats
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Holy MASS! Beautiful buck. Pics like these make me want to get my bow back out of the case!!

Congrats!!!
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I actually hit him pretty good but he still ran about 450 yards. Weighed 220 pounds. He was a very short bodied deer. He was quartering to me, and I'm always scared of that shoulder. I hit about his 4th rib from the back. Shoulda gotten first lung, liver, and a touch of guts. Probably missed the offside lung by just a bit. In a perfect world, I shoulda hit him maybe 6-8 inches more forward, but like I said earlier- I'm terrified of a shoulder. Here's the entry hole

I posted the usual hunting pics earlier, but this right here is my favorite. She is my little buddy. It's the first dead deer my 2 yr old has ever seen, besides a caped out or mounted one. When my wife brought her up to camp to come see my deer she was so happy and just glowing. She climbed right on it and started giggling. It doesn't seem like much, but you have to know the rest of it. We had another girl in July. So to help my wife out as much as possible, she would come with me all summer to check cameras and scout. She got bitten my mosquitos a few times, and got poison ivy twice (bad daddy). She helped me hang a lock on, and it takes about 2 hours to hang a lock on with a 2 year old. When is the last time you had to change a poopoo diaper in the middle of hanging a lock on?

She was with me the first time I got a picture of this buck. It's hard to explain to a 2 year old what it meant, but I was making her give me high fives in the woods. I would even take her glassing with me some evenings. One time there was a 140" 8 point out in a field. She was looking through my binoculars backwards and said she saw it. I asked her if it was a big deer, and she said it was a "pink deer". It's tough not to be able to take her with me hunting yet. And I just assumed she has no clue the importance of any of this. But when she pulled up to camp and saw my deer, I realized she did. She got blood all over her pants and was proud of it. She kept showing it to her mother and everyone else she saw. She was proud of her deer blood. She's gonna be my little hunter one day. She watched me shoot my bow all summer and every time would say "good shot daddy".

Quinn, I feel the same way. You would think killing a good buck would make a man content.

I removed my back seat bow case from my truck, and put her car seat back in. Ready to take her back to camp to get the meat out of the cooler. I'm in the garage now looking at my bow, backpack, arrows, and such. 2 game cameras are just sitting here that need to be put out.

Just makes me smile and wonder who's next :wink: ......
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:53 am

That's awesome, take her on some hunts even if its just for 45 min to an hour. I have a 8 year old girl and a five year old boy. My girl is my hunter. I have been taking her since she was 3. Last year she started hunting. I only get two bucks at the camp and they have to meet criteria. As far as I'm concerned they are her deer if she wants them. I killed a doe a couple weeks ago after taking off from bowhunting for several yrs. that morning I saw about 130" 8 point. I have never killed a good buck with my bow. Therefor I ain't hunting that spot again till youth season. Just don't want to be tempted.
Peewee
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 am

Good stuff man. Looks like she claimed HER deer.

BTW I'd have been afraid of that huge shoulder as well. Many bucks have been lost due to poor penetration on shoulder hits. You done good!
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:46 am

GREAT buck! Congratulations!
MisterBlack
Veteran

Postby MisterBlack » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 am

Thats awesome man, just reading that made my morning. I hope I get to feel what you feel one day bud!
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 am

Congrats man!
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 am

Great buck! Is that a TK Stanley cap?
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes it is. It's an old nasty sweaty one I do most of my summertime grunt work in. I was wearing a green hat that was in much better shape, but with the nerves and emotions I misplaced it at some point. the TK hat was crumpled up in my truck so I grabbed it.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Nothing wrong with the cap. Thought you might work for TK.
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Postby BIG TIMBER » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I highly doubt Quinn's bow is put up!!!
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Postby BIG TIMBER » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I highly doubt Quinn's bow is put up!!!
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 am

I love the Pic with your little girl.

I'm lucky enough to live with in 5 min driving of all my hunting land. which is a lot of land.

so i'm always loading up my wife a 23 month old little girl Rivers and going to check cams, stands, plots, etc.

good times for sure....
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 am

A sho' nuff Brute!!!
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965

Return to “General Discussion Forum”