Wife's Velvet Buck

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cagoodwn
Veteran

Wife's Velvet Buck

Postby cagoodwn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:00 am

Proud of her!!! She put a great shot on this buck yesterday evening. He came out to a small plot right at last light. We were both sitting in a large stand I built a couple years ago. I didn't think he would ever turn to give her a shot. He finally did right at 20yds. I told her to shoot for a low heart shot knowing he'd probably duck to run at the shot. He sure enough did but not low enough. I could see the impact but I could tell by the sound and the way he reacted it was on the money. We tried to sit quiet and heard him crash. Still gave him 30min just to be sure. I couldn't be happier for her. She's worked hard the past couple years with her shooting. We've had ups and downs with missed oppurtunities and lost deer and she never gave up. She'll be on cloud 9 for the rest of the season!

The Muzzy Phantom 100gr really did it's job. With her pulling 45lbs and and shooting a fairly light arrow it still blew through one lung and liver. Awesome blood trail and he only went about 40yds. Makes me want to start using them!
Bonehead
Duck South Addict

Re: Wife's Velvet Buck

Postby Bonehead » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 am

That is awesome. Great for yall. :D
MisterBlack
Veteran

Postby MisterBlack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:18 am

Ahh man this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats buddy! I know you have got to be super proud of that. Fine buck, that dude has been eatin some groceries!
quackerkiller
Veteran

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 am

That's awesome! This is gonna be my wife's first year to bow hunt when I get home! After shooting for two years now, I'm hoping she can get it done!
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 am

That is awesome....congrats to her and you
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Great buck. Congrats
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 am

Very cool!
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

I am convinced with small drawlengths and lighter poundage a fixed broadhead is the way to go. I switched several years ago to Rages, sometimes times I would get good blood and sometimes I wouldn't. Rarely got pass thru shots. Quinn convinced me to try slick tricks this year. I have shot two does this year with great results. One ran 40 yds and one ran 60 yds with good blood from both. I shoot an older Mathews MQ 32 and pull 64 pounds. It has been years since I shot through a conograph but if I remember correctly I only shoot around 230 feet per second.
Peewee
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Congrats to your wife on the buck. Good job taking her and spending time in the field with her.
Peewee
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:18 am

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

I have always beef a fan of slick tricks and shot them for years. but since I started elk hunting I have changed my set up to a much heavier arrow.

In my opinion Arrow set up is just as important as having your bow turned, in fact you can't have one done correctly with out the other.

I changed to a cut on contact style head last year, and a 480grain + arrow. in .300 spine with High FOC - 18% - 20%

i'm shooting silver flame XL's 150 grain.

I see little to no change in trajectory, and still shoot good speeds 295 FPS

with my setup I have been able to get complete pass through on quartering to shots, quartering away shots, I shot a doe Friday straight down under me and literally cut the back bone in half and the broad head stuck out of her arm pit. I've shot them through the shoulder bones with pass through.

the last elk I shot was a frontal shot, and the arrow disappeared inside the animal.

for lower poundage I would recommend a weighted insert, and a 125 grain Magnus stinger.

If you are looking for penetration, two blades are the way to go, along with a heavier arrow, and penetration will not be an issue.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am

Very nice!
SHERMANATOR

Return to “General Discussion Forum”