Seed blends

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Seed blends

Postby Tedl10 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

What is everyone planting this year? We are still up in the air.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Re: Seed blends

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 am

I like the buck buster premium
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 am

I just took a look at that Johnny and I like it. Have you planted it before and applied urea 30-60 days after the inital triple 13 application?
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 am

Ted,

Our biologist said the best thing to plant is wheat and bob oats. Throw some clover seed out when you get through dragging. We did it last year and we liked it. Too bad the temps never got above 40 degrees in January. Hard for anything grow when its that cold.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 am

Last year we tried Triticale and the deer walked past all the expensive stuff we planted to eat it.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:28 am

I usually plant the brown bag special - wheat and oats - lots of fertilizer - then hit it with ammonia mid Nov.

Honestly - we have low deer density in the hills - and I think I would kill just as many deer with no food plots
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:58 am

Elbon rye, white, and crimson clover.
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 am

We have planted Super Plot Plus and MS Complete the past two seasons. I usually hand spread a custom mix of hairy vetch, turnip, radish, and chicory near lock ons. Our supplier quit carrying Super Plot Plus and picked up Tecomate products so i may try greenfield by them. Everything we planted in SSP last fall has thick ladino clover now. I am mainly looking for some blends to test in test plots near our camp. I will be testing liquid lime vs granular on most test plots also.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 pm

I am planting half buck busters regular fall mix and half buck busters premium. Have a bunch ordered. We have over 40 acres of food plots so its expensive. I am planting the regular on the plots where my arrowleaf clover was waist deep and the premium in the areas where I did not have a large stand of clover. have had great results on a much smaller scale with buck busters in the past.
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
billjohnson
Veteran

Postby billjohnson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:55 pm

I use Wildlife Management Solution of Eutaw,AL's "Alabama Blend." It cosists of Wheat, Oats, Forage Triticale, Forage Winter Peas, Diakon radishes, and annual Clovers. Seed comes up very well and I've gotten cosistent plots from all of their stuff. Planted a summer plot of PeaPatch Plus which has 3 kinds of Peas, Buckwheat and Sunflowers as well has 3 types of clover. Deer and turkeys have really worked on it. Turkeys have hit it better than deer this summer. Never imagined deer liked sunflowers but they nipped of the flowers as fast as they would bloom. Good company that will help you out. Serious about feeding deer and very knowledgeable.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 am

We did Super Plot Plus and Pennington's Mississippi Blend. The SPP at $10 less a bag out shined the MB. We will be going back with that.
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 am

Any recommendations on a seed/seed blend that will do well in sandy soil? It'll be fertilized according to the dirt sample that we're sending off to MSU...
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:38 am

I like just a straight mix of wheat/oats, maybe a cereal rye/wheat. I plant clover alone in different plots so that I can try to manage it for longevity. The cool season grass stuff goes on crop land where I can burndown and plant soybeans. I can see the reasons people like all the different seed mixes if they just have a small plot here or there, but if you want to plant a bulk amount of acreage, I think you do better by planting a simple mix on more acres that can produce the highest amount of forage with the inputs and soil you have. Buying wheat/oats/rye and mixing yourself will certainly be less $$$ that you can later spend on fertilizer to increase forage. Keeping white clover on designated areas alone will help you keep it around for several years with a little management. Crimson clover as well since you can manage for reseeding. If you are planting a small plot to just hunt or see deer at, then the diversity mixes are probably what you want, but if you are trying to make an entire area better habitat, then I think $$$ can be better spent on larger simple plantings that will provide for larger #s. Just my 2 cents....
Are we gonna get wet?
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:09 pm

We decided on MS complete (wheat, oats, crimson). Planning on planting leftover soybeans with a row planter (12 acres worth) directly after drilling the blend.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 pm

COON HUNTER

Return to “General Discussion Forum”