How to kill duckweed???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
britton
Regular

How to kill duckweed???

Postby britton » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:44 pm

some people may argue if ducks like this stuff or not, but as far as i can tell it does more bad than good... when your hole is covered in it the decoys just look dead and it doesn't allow much water movement. so if someone could explain how to get rid of this stuff i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
BeastMaster
Duck South Addict

Re: How to kill duckweed???

Postby BeastMaster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 pm

wasting your time hunting in a hole full of duckweed from my experience... unless you have a breeze that day, dont even waste your time going to that hole that holds it.
And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it, they will be your food.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 pm

We hunt a few places with bad duckweed. We just figure out what holes they are using and don't setup dekes. Can get some great hunts it's just hard to stay on em. Don't call or put out dekes, like stealin candy from a baby.

Course some folks aint gonna hunt a hole unless they need the "thirty-noter" to...call em on een'. :lol:
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:11 pm

explosives A stick per hole.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Britton you have pm....
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Them ducks likes that wacky weed.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Bama Duck
Veteran

Postby Bama Duck » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:03 pm

Just be aware that you are killing a good foodsource for the gadwall.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... t=icwdmwfm
KillZone
Veteran

Postby KillZone » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Deer, ducks, and turkeys.
britton
Regular

Postby britton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:43 pm

i agree killzone... they might like to eat duckweed, but i like to eat ducks, and in my many days in the blind it looks like i'd kill way more ducks without the green junk swallowing my hole
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Oohhh, woe is me ..... there is duckweed in my hole.....oh no..... what will we ever do...... we can't kill no ducks with duckweed in the hole..... the dekes don't move as good as they should.... just STAY HOME!!!! :wink:

That duckweed only gets bad enough to negatively affect hunting during years when we have no good summer drawdown --- it spreads primarily during the months of May and June --- and during those months it will spread until it covers the entire surface of the water --- if you get a good summer drawdown, then it will not cover that much surface, and when the water comes from the fall rains to bring the water levels back up, you still have some duckweed, but not enough to cover all of the water ----- under those conditions, you can kill the schit out of ducks that like that duckweed. And yes, gadwalls, widgeon, and wood ducks seem to like this stuff more than the mallards, although the mallards will flock to it from time to time.

Now in rare years when we have a LOT of rainfall in May and June ---during which time water levels are high and this stuff keeps spreading to cover the entire surface, then your hunting could be affected a bit as the stuff may be too thick later during the season. The only solution is to try to kill it with chemicals during the months of May and June to stop it from spreading. If you try to kill it later than that, the chemicals will work, but instead of green duckweed covering the surface, you will have a bunch of brown, dead duckweed floating on the surface which is worse as the ducks won't eat it.

Chemicals in adjacent ag fields that runoff into the water body --particularly phosphates --- cause this stuff to grow even more than normal. There are chemicals that you can buy ---not cheap ---that can kill and help control it ---some you spray on the surface right onto the duckweed --- and some you mix with the water.

So, you can listen to a guy who successfully hunts such holes, or not. The choice is yours. I would not give up on such a hole because it has some duckweed in it. Like I said, it can often be a good thing ---more often than not.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Money
Duck South Addict

Postby Money » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:22 am

Duckweed is my friend.
Bama Duck
Veteran

Postby Bama Duck » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 am

Po Monkey is right on...
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:17 pm

We kill many, many ducks in holes socked in with duckweek.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
pstone
Veteran

Postby pstone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:14 am

I like the duckweed myself....killed a many....many a gadwall off of one of my holes in perticular...
GRENADA MAFIA
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 pm

To answer your question Roundup! Simplest cheapest way to do it. If there are fish in the area make sure you don't use surfactant! And don't get caught :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”