Grass for brushing layouts

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Grass for brushing layouts

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am

I'm new to the whole layout blind hunting game. But I quickly realized that brushing the blind 100% with native material in the area I'm hunting the morning of is a time-consuming process. Next year I'll be looking to grass it prior to the hunt, and just fill in on top with some native stuff to blend it in. My question is about natural grass versus commercially sold grass.

Is there any locally available grass that I can go out and cut before the season that will hold up well throughout the season with only the occasional touchup needed ?

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Re: Grass for brushing layouts

Postby Denduke » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 am

Killerweed is synthetic and little goes long way. Easy to spray paint if you have to. You can get the combo of colors or bunch of brite green if green field hunting. Basic coverage using "larkshead" loops thru straps and make dark brown(smart weed) or dark green by zip tying to painted wooden clothes pins to change the look carried in plastic bag in the layout. Here's a Finisher and pop open dog blind with Killerweed....

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:39 pm

As Denduke stated.........the wooden clothes pens and zip ties work well just be careful getting in and out in muddy conditions. I tend to have them pop off when the grass gets caked with mud.
Once you figure out your base color or colors for your areas, you can buy single colors in bulk and save some money.
I have a link/contact for bulk purchase somewhere that we made years ago and will try to find for you.
Be aware that grass/ vegetation colors change slightly from early season to late season. I never have had good luck on wheat/ green color. Never could get a match.
I like to use a blended base layer and then top dress in the field with what is available. It will save time.
Once you get a layer of synthetic on your blind you will be surprised how little native material is need to top your blind out.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am

We mostly use raffia grass in brown and natural/tan as a permanent "base layer," and then fill in with native stuff as needed as described above. Having a little "vertical" dressing as opposed to all "horizontal" dressing seems to make a difference. YMMV.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Not being hidden properly is the single biggest reason I see when guys are having trouble finishing birds. For fields, get an electric hedge trimmer. My rule of thumb is cut twice as much grass and brush twice as often. No such thing as overkill when grassing blinds. Thick tall grass on the road side or by a levee gives you the best all around color to hide in. IMO, color of the brush isn't near as important as having enough of what you are using to brush with. Have a mudded base layer and don't let a square inch of fabric show. Also, use decoys (in this area full body or silhouette specks are a good option) to hide layouts as well. Creates shadows and disorients the profile of the layout. Hope this helps and good luck. And brush off the roadside is free.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”