cold front ducks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sadie1
Veteran

cold front ducks

Postby sadie1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm

So I have always thought that some extended cold weather was the theory to really get a good push of ducks down this way, so I was eager to head out this week after a good solid week or close to it of temperatures in the missouri area being below freezing(and a 15 mph north wind for a few days), which has happened rarely in the last few years, and now that we are in January was anxious to check the skies. Well, went this morning and I knew my area would be likely frozen up but was really just excited to sit and see if some ducks were moving. Sat at duck hole for an hour then in deer stand for most of the rest of the day and saw ZERO. And i mean zero. Only time the entire year(really the last 4 or 5 years) that I have not killed at least a couple or had some work or see some high flyers. Anybody else have better news? :cry:
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Re: cold front ducks

Postby GAHEEL83 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 pm

We hunted Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Bolivar County and did not fire a shot any of the three mornings. Very few ducks flying.

We hunted the river Sunday afternoon with better success and damn near froze to death Monday am in a repeat performance with nothing to show for it and saw few birds to boot.

They limited out this morning in an hour hunting the same hole on the river.

Not sure where all of these birds that should be moving south are going, but they are not on any of our holes or fields.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

What had happened wuz..... “the flyway is shifting towards the West” hypothesis is becoming a theory and soon to be a phenomenon.
On a somewhat of a positive note, the science dept failed to send the memo to the specks!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am

sadie1,
I agree with you 100%. Cked out our corn field numerous times before and during the freeze up . No mallards or migration.When I was younger had great hunts on central delta rivers during this type weather...
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 am

Ducks have been pretty scarce this year, even in this cold snap, but geese are everywhere.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 pm

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Personally, I think this year (for my crew) was an aberration. Last year was fairly decent. This year there was just not a lot of water (like hardly any) in the North Delta due to lack of rain, and when the "tip of the spear" came through, there was only what was pumped early, and not much "natural water" or "stopped up culvert rain water." With nothing to really keep them around other than a little "early pumped water," the ducks went down to South La or elsewhere. Or at least that is how I read it. There are pockets of ducks to be sure, but you can't tap 'em day after day. Geese, on the other hand, are having a literal field day since it was so dry that farmers were disking fields into December, uncovering lots of fresh eats in the fields. And geese are happy to all pile up in your freshly pumped water (and now natural water) and poop it up an dhang out until they have eaten everything in sight. I have become a speck afficianado this year, because like that dude and Mt. Everest, they are there! ;)
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I agree, I think it’s been too dry here with not enough non-hunted water supply to have an ability hold ducks in the area.

On the flipside, the guys chasing the geese around or not covered in mud in the photos I’ve been looking at this year.

Dry field hunting. Who Would’ve ever dreamed that for this time of the year?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 am

The cold snaps haven't been long-lived enough (down here) to push a duck out of areas (North of us) where there is still an available food source, refuge and open water. It takes about 5 days of solid ice-up to move a mallard further down the 'migration route'.....and migration routes for a given 'group' of birds are influenced by many factors and change as often as the wind blows. I'm entertained by the notion that there is a 'shift' in the Flyways. Ducks have a built-in compass and a memory for imprinting.

There's safety in numbers too.....and I think with increased pressure and man-made 'duck-holes' every 5 square miles, it's pretty easy to figure a duck has enough sense to avoid danger. They aren't completely stupid until they realize an urgency to move-on due to severe weather events. I see it in Canada more and more.......more pressure = ducks fly-out en mass and stick with 'tornadoes' where there are no shots fired. Don't think they can't see 2000 speculums and a buzz cloud 5 miles away.

Bottom line is we didn't get the type weather events in frequent succession that are conducive to mass migration, nor do our local ice events last for an extended period.......to make a duck want to come this far South (en mass). At best, what we get just pushes the birds less-tolerant of cold weather out and the event doesn't last long enough to make 'new' birds arrive.

Ducks will return (fly back North) once conditions improve - they are used to the comforts they found on the way down the route. There's nothing that says they can't go any other direction but South, once October arrives.

Pressure is the bane of duck hunting as we once knew it. It's more about managing people now, than managing the resource.

Try working a duck within 2 miles of a group of joy-seekers that only know (and care) enough to lob as many rounds of Black Bull$#!+ skyward in hopes that one errant pellet will find its mark, sending a duck sailing downward 1/2-mile away - and being impressed with their shooting skills. It's like a contest to see who has the most empty hulls on the ground after the hunt is over. He who runs outa shells during the hunt, wins. Their kind are only interested in keeping score.......not improving the quality of the hunt or experience. Read the threads about 'firepower'......"what's the best shell, gun, load, choke, gimmick, shortcut?".....etc.

Happy Hunting! Relax - It's just a duck.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 am

It’s a rare deal for us to have a good hunt when it’s frozen. Temps as cold as they were aren’t usuLly productive. There also isn’t much to eat anymore in the delta. ESP compared to arkie rice fields and Midwest corn.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am

g_uithoven
Veteran

Postby g_uithoven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 am

I'll say this, Saturday morning in the marsh here in SE LA there were finally constant flights of ducks in the air. First time all year the skies haven't been totally barren. Hopefully everybody will get on em for the finale this weekend. Good luck & shoot straight!
PM me if you need a bloodtrailing hound.

"wrap it in maroon & white"

OTDoubleD.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”