Butt-up motion decoys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lucky_man

Butt-up motion decoys

Postby lucky_man » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Was wondering if anyone has used the Higdon XS Pulsator? This is the new one with the self contained battery. Buddy had one of the old ones with the big battery box and didn't really like it, but the new ones look pretty slick. Watched the video on the Roger's page and granted, it wasn't real world conditions, but looked good. Any thoughts?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Butt-up motion decoys

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Can I reply back after duck season opens?

I like the ones with the box incidentally. Well the newer ones where the box has been re-design so all you have to do is open the lid to access the battery for charging. The original model that I had you had to fish the battery out of a tight space to get to both terminals for charging.

I love this concept for a motion decoy. Really makes a big difference on a day with not enough wind.

Just buy a couple. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 pm

https://www.ruggedduck.com/collections/ ... up-rippler
Lotta ripples for $50
Had this swimmer since '04 $10 bilge pump running off 6v battery ..... still swims around in circles....
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am

Denduke is right on with his swimmer. I have used like ones for years and you cant beat the price .
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:50 am

I used the higdon last year with the box with easy access battery charging. The battery box leaked a little with every hunt but it was only minor, just tilt to drain water and by the time you have it recharged it was dry. The bilge pump was a little flemsie on the battery box model so i had to reinforce with zip ties. I guess it didnt like being thrown in a boat and then bounces on a 4 wheeler but all in all i am happy with it.
I bought the new higdon bubble for this year as well as a little swimming model with the propeller.
I am expecting good things out of all.
I will still use a jerk string but i want more motion during still days.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:53 am

Denduke..............what size/model bilge is that?
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 am

Small $10 at Wallyworld. Surprised me that 6v drives a 12v bilge. There are ways to add blinker and jazz one up if you google it but then you gotta go with 12v stuff/batry
The lil prop deals clog with slime and the one for $13 at Academy is junk....A bud has had one of the $100 models I forget brand with 2 props that he has good luck with in the salt it's remote....Swims it around everywhere! My luck it'd hank up outa reach... Jerk rig still the ticket...
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 am

Can't seem to host video... If this works made a floating spinner outa Flmbo and Mojo dove motor on closed cell foam base. The mod was to add drops to the "plastic cardboard wings" to make water motion

Can't get it to show....
Last edited by Denduke on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:57 pm

The swimmers I use have an Attwood V 500, MODEL 4204, 13.6 VDC , 1.5 AMP, 2 AMP fuse . I have been using a 6 volt rechargeable battery and it works good. Also I added a MOJO Self Timer that can be timed for different on/off cycles.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Used them for years. The pumps are terrible. The wiring is exceptionally flimsy. I carry the darn thing in a special bag so it is better cared for than most. I like denduke setup.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:39 pm

In reference to my last post the pump I use to make my swimmers is like the one in dendukes pic. Havent had any trouble with it .After checking my swimmers I did find using a small 12 volt rechargable in one decoy.
lucky_man

Postby lucky_man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am

I use a jerk rig also, but was wanting something on the perimeter of the spread to give'm a little confidence when coming in. like I said it looked pretty slick. I used to have a old Minn Kota motor ratchet strapped to a T-post I had hooked to a light switch with a mower battery that I could just flip on and off, but looking for something a little easier to haul in and set up.
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Really? You like the old one better? I think I like the new ones better.

Instructions say you can add a battery to them to double the run time but I have not felt it necessary.

Yes, if you hunt until noon they will weaken, but so did mine with the 12 V battery.

I think they do have a slightly different program that does not pulsate them quite as frequently as the old style but it still provides more than adequate motion in the decoy spread for my liking.

I would actually give them a good endorsement.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”