Indian Bayou

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Indian Bayou

Postby NyssaAquatica » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 pm

I was doing some digging on greentree projects in the state and came across this article from 1985 that mentions the Indian Bayou greentree reservoir.

Apparently it was a WMA at one point, google maps says it is a state wildlife area, but I can't find anything on the state website about it. So, what's the status of this place? Is it still open to the public, or is it private now?
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: Indian Bayou

Postby DanP » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 am

Its private or leased at a minimum now. I've never heard the full story, only bits and pieces.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am

When IB first opened, it was a killer place to hunt...much like the south green tree on Delta National. The first two years, hunting during the week was like having a private place. I just remember showing up one year and it was closed. Never heard why. Figured the state couldn't afford to run it. As I remember...from back in the early seventies mind you, it was pretty small. One memory...friends and I were set up in a wide spot on an old logging road. Huge bunch of mallards came in; I rose up and touched off on a close greenheart. Not only did he fall, but two more greenheads behind him did,too. Only time in 50 years of hunting to triple on one wing shot. (doesn't take into account for a few skillet shots on the water from my youth) Problem was, I already had killed one that day, and that put me one over on the point system in place at that time. I knew no game warden would believe my story. I sweated bullets taking those ducks out! Got lucky...no green jeans that day. Yeah, I did lie on the check out form...just didn't know how to explain that!

crow
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 am

That's a bummer to hear that it just closed without much notification. Makes you wonder what the reasoning was behind it. I can guarantee that they would have a much tougher time getting rid of public duck hunting land in this day and age. Just look at the thread on the scatters/six mile refuge attempt from a couple of years ago. People raised a pretty big stink about potentially losing access.

Crow, do you remember what year it closed?

Does anyone else have info on why it closed?
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Best I can remember...early 70's. Before I married in '74.
Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm

It's 16th Section land and the lease finally got high enough the MDWFP didn't renew.

I've heard some legendary tales about that place.
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Oddly, it's divided into two pieces. One is a 32 acre section leased for $316.40/acre :shock: . That's the highest per acre fee I've seen on the 16th section website. The rest of it is priced a bit lower than the surrounding leases :?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”