Super light pirogue - 17lb 14 foot

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Super light pirogue - 17lb 14 foot

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 am

Came across this on WWW

thought it would suite my needs well. plan on building a version of this, using some different materials and slightly different methods......

any thoughts ?
Last edited by jdbuckshot on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: Super light pirogue - 17lb 14 foots

Postby mfalkner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:54 am

wow. I could see myself getting wet a lot in a pirogue that light
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 pm

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Great stuff... there's still hope for this place!
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I've looked at the foam built boats and they have there place. but I really want a pirogue - something that is really easy to paddle. the shape and design of the pirogue is what makes it a great shallow water craft for paddling. one man and a dog and some gear.

anyone that has ever sat in a pirogue knows that the stability argument is not even worth making. they are tipsy and not for everybody. I've heard an old saying: forgetting to shave on one side would cause you to flip.

I've built a few and am in need for a new creek cruiser for turkey season. I live hunting turkeys from the backwater.

I'll get started after deer season....

planning on a 14'er hoping It can handle paddling out a buck deer....
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Using trim coil is interesting. Gonna add my $.02. Back in the 70s worked with some building contractor brothers in Gulfport that were building them outa 1/4"x 14' marine plywood with compound miter wooden block ends and 1x2s routered slipped down on the sides and for the side/bottom laps. There were 2 seats that supported the sides. The sides/bottom laid out and cut from the single sheet. Can't get that now so people scarf the bottoms these days. Here's the point... because the sides were cut on each side of the24" bottom they were 12" and when put together married to the end blocks significant skeen ( I thinks the word ) was created. I.e. When it sat on the floor each end was 3" off the floor. And!!! The sides are almost plumb not splayed way out like most that you see. Very stable and lotta free board! We used sheet rock nails and painted with latex paint. Had mine for 10 yrs had to glass the bottom. Wore the wood away from the nails. Although pic shows sitting on the seat I sit on cooler to keep feet/ legs go to sleep. I broke it in half in a truck incident. Can't find the guys would like to get drawing of the compound miter end blocks which made it strong and easy to build.
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Pete Hotard

"T.J, Do you enjoy your manhood being called into question every five minutes?" -Teul2
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 pm

greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Super light pirogue - 17lb 14 foot

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 am

I am watching this threads closely, JD, because the PVC idea is a damned good one.

I've owned a few pirogues and always miss them once I sell them. I've been wanting another, but this time I'm really getting the itch to build it instead of buying it. Again, the PVC idea is intriguing. I want to build a "dugout" style (there are some fiberglass ones on Ebay from LA for $300 pick up) with some rocker added (similar to Paw Paw's Pirogues) because they would be more nimble, maneuver better and have more tumblehome; which would make tiny adjustments while maneuvering into position for jump shooting ducks that much easier and quieter. The kicker is that it will make the craft more unstable than it'd already be, and it'd be a light load craft, but that's what I want in a pirogue. The other issue is this that this type of craft would be much harder to make.

I don't like not having a pirogue, and I refuse to hear of not having a canoe. One day I will make one. They are a sportsman's best friend, IMO. Not to hijack, but the video below is one of me running a little 2hp gamefisher I bought from Anatidae. You could jump shoot ducks and then motor back up stream and only need one truck. With some modification, it was the ultimate swamp rig.

Somebody mentioned weight and Gheenoes. IMO, the factor of adding/subtracting weight to affect stability of a craft is so minimal that it should be way down the list of factors to consider, especially with a pirogue. Weight, or it's absence, is EVERYTHING on a pirogue. The reason gheenoes are so stable vs. standard canoes is because they have a reverse chine running the length of the craft. Old Town guides have the same concept. This gives the craft winning points in secondary stability.

I'd rather have a craft with secondary stability then that of initial stability, or, in the case of a pirogue, just throw out the word stability altogether and reassure yourself that she will roll over- she loves to roll over. That said, her owner must learn the art of keeping her from rolling; whereas it's usually the owner's responsibility to keep himself from rolling his craft. Secondary stability is why those who own Gheenoes, or any reverse chine hull, for any amount of time, almost always love them: They got used to the slight "tippy" feeling only to realize that they had to do something bad to flip her, and it's also why those who only tried out reverse chine hulls such as Gheenoes disliked them: Because they felt so "tippy." My next all around fishing hull will be a tricked out LT25. They are everything but a canoe.

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 am

material order ( fiberglass and resign ) will be ordered today. the rest of the material will be bought at the hardware store.

Still not sure if the side will be aluminum trim coil or FRP panel....

i go to Atlanta next week on bushiness - then i will get started.

i figure i can build it in two afternoons....
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:09 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”