Question for those who remain

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
loneoakret

Re: Question for those who remain

Postby loneoakret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:40 am

Social media is probably the biggest contributing factor to the demise of this forum and many others. However, there seems to be a resurgence of hunting forums, and that is certainly true here. I am really happy to see people coming back to the site, and Rocky has done a great job with its revival. Rocky, Josh and I all are doing our best to add more content that you guys will find useful and interesting, and I have a few articles that are about to hit the site that I hope will provoke some discussion here.

Thank you to all the guys that still come around daily, and I really appreciate the positive feedback regarding the On The X Podcast. We have had a blast launching it, and we truly value your support. Hopefully we will continue to keep you entertained and up to date on what is happening in the great world of waterfowling!

J. Paul
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 pm

I quit posting as much during the downhill period, before the site went down, because of the "sophomore" bunch (at the time) and their smartass comments: If anyone posted anything over 2 sentences long (or twitter length), then they would contribute NOT to the conversation, but with a snide remark about too many sentences. I guess it was just too much for their piss ant minds to chew on. I couldn't imagine being forced to be next to such sticks-in-the-mud in real life.

The whole time I'm like, "The last thing this place needs is LESS conversation."

I think all of the above mentioned stuff by others has contributed to every forum's decline. In the macrocosm of things, the ability (or inability) and willingness (or unwillingness) of the up-and-coming general public to engage in reading and writing anything over 25 characters long- in a setting not nearly as narcissistic as ones own personal FB page- means that the concept of a discussion forum is flawed as far as the near future goes.

For people who don't get coughing fits at the thought of reading/writing a paragraph, and enjoy the culture that forums provide in less of "me" and more of a community, then there will always be a need for msducks.

I still visit everyday. This place has been invaluable for me over the years. It really has been a daily part of my life. The people I've met, the things I've learned, the numb feet from sitting on the chitter for too long- a lot of it can be contributed to MSDUCKS. May she live forever!
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm

FWIW, I started to notice the decline about the same time Micah instituted the "no mention of public land" policy for the site. I'm not against the policy and have no idea if that's a reason or just coincidence, actually was pleased with it at the time, but that's just when I started to notice a slow-down.

FWIW, I really enjoy the push that Rocky is giving the site. I hope things come back to life around here. But I haven't seen a picture of a dead duck (save for Rice's recent awesome post) hardly all season. When you stop getting good photos of hunts and stories, what's left is not much.

P.S. I've killed only a single merganser this year out of 4 hunts, so I'm exempt from posting pictures this year.... Mine have been epic in the opposite direction.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm

seems like i have been logging in to check the site activity at least once a day for about 17-18 years. i began browsing the site back when i was at southern miss, which was 1998-2001. when i first started "internet scouting"...i was jumping from hoosier jim's duck blind, to waterfowler.net, msducks.com and duckboats.net. i would follow the migrations through the state specific boards and spend hours reading the hunt reports.

i've survived all the crashes and reboots and banhammers. i haven't made a lot of contributions post-wise over the years, but i feel like i've learned a lot and have always enjoyed the discussions and pot stirring. seems like as waterfowling has gotten more popular, public places have gotten more crowded and the folks that were young around 200 have gotten older, the site activity has really declined. also, with the tightening of the lips, it seems like the hunt reports have really gone down. i suspect it is for fear of other folks figuring out where the ducks are and creating competition. I also haven't seen the volume of posts making sport out of the newbies with their poo faces, barrel stickers, and affliction apparel.

personally, my duck hunting has really slowed down since the local wmas have gone to draw hunts. with so many rules and regulations, it has really taken the fun out of it for me. i think i went one time last year, twice the year before that and I haven't even purchased stamps this year. i still check in every day to see whats going on maybe participate in some controversial disagreements.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Tablets and phones make it hard for me to post. Most of the posts I start I get frustrated with predictive text, can't see the screen or whatever...so I just delete.

I do try to check out the site regularly though.

the doc
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 pm

It's pretty simple for me......(Spin-off from Samuel Clemens) life is what happens while you were telling folks that could care less, what you're doing every 10 minutes.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Fred grew up and actually started hunting a lot with me and I had to stop the shenanigans.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:20 am

Life happened...but, as we get more settled things do cycle back around. Ducksouth/msducks was always very closed to newbies and out of staters...but there are only so many Mississippi boys who like to duck hunt and talk about it. This place was built around personalities, around camaraderie, and became more than about duck hunting, I think there will be a transformation of sorts with the way people use forums, and I hope there is a resurgence.

Still, some of my favorite posts were not about successful hunts, but the unsuccessful ones...I remember one in particular involving bigwater diving into a flooded duck hole and missing "low and left".... we've all grown up over the years, and this place has grown with us, the only thing I regret, is I don't see the kids of my friends on here....some are obviously too young, but others, Double R's boys, aren't....maybe we've lost relevance to Facebook, but I think it is different, I think it is more that we lost the content that people crave, but, after talking to Rocky today, and seeing what has been done already...I really think that is going to change.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 pm

I've been an OOS member on here for years and learned a lot from this forum as noone in my family duck hunted growing up. My in-laws do and introduced me to waterfowling and I truly enjoy it. Purchased my first lab pup this year! Still check-check-in about twice a week, but not everyday as I once did.......too much negativity and not enough content. Hope to see it back to life again.....
greenheadsonly
Regular

Postby greenheadsonly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 pm

people left once they realized the Johnny Rebs were gonna bite the dust.....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”