experience shotgun advice

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
v-do
Regular

experience shotgun advice

Postby v-do » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Im in the market for a new shotgun and i have a few options ive narrowed it down to but open to others as well. I really like the beretta A4000 line and remington versamax line. Ive never shot either so i want some feedback from those who have before i commit and spend that type of money. What the major differences between the veramax and the versamax sportsman? ive heard great things about the sportsman and the $500 difference has me leaning towards the sportsman. What do yall think is the best all around shotgun for hunting everything (mostly waterfowl, turkey, dove, and squirell) looking for a shotgun that is reliable and i can do everything with and that will last me a long time. So from yalls experience with different shotguns what do yall think?? Thanks for the input in advance.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: experience shotgun advice

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:38 pm

If I was handed a versmax for free, I'd have it listed the very next day. Seen one particular one in and out of gunsmith and never would work right. Brand new gun. Maybe it's a lemon, but that kind of experience leaves a deep impression on the perception of a gun's reliability.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Browning, beretta, benelli, Winchester

I shoot the SX3. It's been very good to me and I'm sad to say I haven't babied it. Buy which ever fits. Keep it in decent shape, enjoy!

A Remington 870 about the only gun I like from Remington. Seems most of their guns have little quality control these.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
reservoirdawg
Regular

Postby reservoirdawg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Don't waste your money on the Sportsman.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:07 pm

I have a Versamax Sportsman in camo and I love it, I haven't had a problem out of it. I had a Baikal that I absolutely loved, unfortunately someone else thought they needed it more than I did, so I replaced it with the Versamax Sportsman and can't complain at all. I'd buy another one today if I needed one.
v-do
Regular

Postby v-do » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:54 pm

not downing anybody or anything but everyone that has a vera max sportsman seems to love it and all of the negative things come from people that dont own one and only hear this or that. people that own one all tell me its a great gun and they love it. so im not sure what to think of that gun.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:05 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 pm

attachment.jpg
Best purchase I've ever made. Shoots 2.75", 3", and 3.5". Never jams. Takes about 10 minutes to break down and clean. This particular model is getting harder to find, but if you do enough digging online there are some deals on used double guns in good to very good condition. I think I paid $1100 for mine and it looked like it might have had a couple boxes of shells through it. If I had it to do all over, the only thing I would do different is buy one with a wood stock and have it dipped. I hate that damn duratouch coating on the stock and forearm. Go to the store and shoulder as many as possible. Doesn't matter how reliable, tough, or versatile the gun is if you can't hit anything with it. Find the best fitting gun first and narrow your options down from there.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 am

^^^ This is excellent advice, particularly the part about avoiding Duratouch if you go the Browning/Winchester route.

Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 am

I think the A400 is the best gun on the market. But saying that I also think it's one of the hardest for some people to make it fit them. I have seen people play with shims for hours and still not get the fit they are looking for. I have no experience with the versamax. I like the browning A5 and the silver. The Brownings just fit me.
v-do
Regular

Postby v-do » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm

SX3. I shoot one and love it.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 pm

I owned two different beretta sweet. But they did not fit me correctly. Rem 1100. Browning A 5. Browning gold. That is what fits me
I'm Retired, leave me alone
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 am

I bought an A400 Xtreme this year after battling shoulder AC joint and rotator cuff issues that started at he end of last year's duck season. This is after shooting a Benelli SBE for fifteen years. I loved the SBE but my 46yo shoulder can't take the beating My dad bought and hunted an A400 last year with success so i followed suit.

I'm extremely pleased with the gun. After some pattern work and fitting and getting used to the gun, I'm shooting bett and killing more ducks this year by far. Maybe it's the new, maybe it's almost non - existent recoil. Either way it's a keeper.

Hard for me to believe anyone can't get the gun to fit. It comes with two different LOP spacers for three options. There are three different lengh recoil pads. The two drop shims give four options. I needed a little more and simply stacked the two shims for a little more drop and cast.

I've had zero malfunctions in about 200 rounds. Skeet early and about a half case of 3" ducks loads. I may break down and clean it after this split.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:26 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”