Flaring Ducks or how much do i hate balloons

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Florida Boy
Regular

Flaring Ducks or how much do i hate balloons

Postby Florida Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm asking ya'll to share your weird or abnormal moments, a bad hunt you walked away from smiling and shaking your head.Sunday morning a friend and I set up in hole we had done pretty well at a week before in a lake in Central Florida and waited for daylight. It came and as ducks started working our spread they didn't come close or flared 80-100 yards out.We looked at our spread and the boat blind , no problems found we finally dropped a couple on some longer shots and a third went down 250 yards behind gliding in. We decided to break down the blind and try to run down the bird. On the way back to the spread I noticed something red in the vegetation, forty yards behind our boat but not visible to use, although all to visible to the ducks was a Mylar Happy Birthday Balloon. If you have a story that compares or beats it please share.Good Luck.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Flaring Ducks or how much do i hate balloons

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:50 am

In the spirit of tornadic storms, I once found several hundred mallards in a hole in some public land in east central ms. My brother in law and I and my dog went back and hunted them the next morning with a camera.

We commenced to riding out a freak tornado event in a willow thicket so tight that it caught an 8 ft long piece of tin roof from a barn it destroyed a few hundred yards away. It got caught up maybe 50 yards from us in the willows.

It was all caught on tape. The whole time I'm voicing my concerns in a language not-safe-for-work while my brother in law is hollering for me to shut up, that there are birds working. I told him them ain't birds, them's clouds if debris.

An hour later the temp had dropped 30 degrees, wind was gusting 30 outta the north and we hammered em.

And it was all on tape!
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am

Kinda the same thing, we got caught out in a helluva storm on the MS river north of Vicksburg, we rode it out in the willows with a tarp draped over the boat best we could. I guess everyone knew the weather was coming cause we were the only truck at the ramp that morning, but nonetheless, after the storm passed, the temp dropped and wind was blowing off a polar bears ass and the ducks showed up!!
Mallardman86

Postby Mallardman86 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Probably 12 or 13 years ago two buddies and I went out of New Years Day. I had a 12' john boat that we piled two or three dozen decoys, dog, trolling motor, and battery in. We burned the trolling motor up and broke a push pole all on the way in. We finally made it to the hole and set decoys. Just before shooting light the sky was black with birds. At shooting time all three of us raised and shot. The boat tipped back, water came in, we leaned forward but more water came in and one buddy even fell out. Water begins rushing in the boat.
We threw the dog out and he swam to shore then he turns around and climbs back in the sinking boat. Josh the guy already in the water can stand up and his head is the only thing sticking out of the water. Me and Travis, the other guy still in the boat, walk to the end of the boat and jump towards the bank landing in water just below the top of our waders. We get to the bank and headed for the truck. We returned with another boat to gather all our gear just to have that boat run out of gas. Needless to say we got home at 5 that evening. I went back in the summer time when the water was drained. No more than 10' from where all this happened the water was at least 15' to 20' deep.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”