Cutdown?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
v-do
Regular

Cutdown?

Postby v-do » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:52 am

I've never owned one and I am thinking about getting one for this year. What are some calls that won't break my wallet but are still good quality that sounds good? Thanks in advance for any help
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Re: Cutdown?

Postby grnhed » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 am

I've heard nothing but good things about the rolling thunder BSOD. I think they have a couple of options for like 50 bucks.

check em out.
Florida Boy
Regular

Postby Florida Boy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I just bought a Haydel BC-10 Big Barreled Cutdown. I don't have anything to compare it to as another cutdown . It does seem to be raspier and deeper with more range of sound than my DR-85
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Yeah, that's not really a cutdown call. Just another Haydel's double reed.

Any Rolling Thunder call would be a good starting point for a cutdown style call on a budget. Better acrylics will be the RNT Mondo or Echo Ace in the Hole.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Cut downs are a myth anyway. I'd suggest just get to whittling the tone board on a regular call like an Echo poly to achieve the same results without breaking the bank.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:34 am

I don't know your price range but the new mondo lt (lite) is the real deal. I have a bsod easy bark I would sell you for 30 dollars if you are just wanting something to try. I am not a cut down guy and have never owned one until about 3 weeks ago. They blow totally different than any other j frame call. Just different air presentation so to speak. Do I think if you blow a cutdown ducks just pull in from the heavens? Absolutely not but I do believe they are loud as hell and all duck when they are loud.
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 am

Cutdowns a myth? Hardly!

There are a ton of cutdown calls out there. The easiest to blow in my opinion is the RTGC Colt 45. It is not as easy as a j frame, but is not as difficult as a cut OLT. all of them have their pro's except the echo. I haven't found the first thing I like about it.

Calls Spencer with RTGC. Tell him your blowing style and what you're looking for. I bet he will be glad to help.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:50 am

BlackOps
v-do
Regular

Postby v-do » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 am

Ive heard a lot about the black ops. Seems like a lot of people like it. Where can i buy one if i decide to do that? Ive found theyre not making calls right now.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:59 am

I have a top 5 outdoors items that i would be hard pressed to get rid of, in no particular order: garmin alpha e collar, lone wolf hand climber, my canoe, filson field jacket.

Last and certainly not least is my 1st Gen Black Ops DFB.

I've owned several cutdowns and blown several cut olts. I modified my DFB just a bit, and it is the hardest cutdown to run that I've ever personally blown into (not that I am the be-all-end-all of cutdown experts, if I ever was one).

Even though it's the hardest to run- requiring immense air PRESSURE- it barks like no other I've ever run or heard in the internet.

Other than cloudy, calm days, when I have to tone it down by necessity, my DFB is a difference maker. Even on those days, unless the birds are extremely skiddish requiring a call like my Timbre, I still use the cutdown.

It just sounds real. Very real. I love my Black Ops. Highly recommend, if you can get one.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:18 am

They are making some here and there
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:39 am

Blackops dfb all sounded flat to me. Spencer's calls are as close to the Bakelite olts as anyone.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 am

Spence makes good calls too
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 am

I don't find anything sounds like a cut Olt except a cut Olt. Whether you think the cut Olt is really a magic flute is a different thread. There are a few "cutdown style" calls that are close, like an "in person" Mondo tuned by Jimbo. I got curious several years ago and have Olts cut by a few of the "famous dudes" and a couple fine cuts from some "not so famous" dudes. There are many "styles" of cuts for an Olt. My suggestion for the OP, if you really want to play with a cut down and not a "kinda sorta" is to find a hard rubber keyhole D2 on ebay. Send it to Spencer Halford to have him cut it for you. He cuts a mean Olt, that most folks can learn to blow. Then tape the insert in place, do not otherwise mess with it, and learn to blow it. Then, you can decide for yourself. :wink:
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 am

Any of them are going to be as good as the caller. I'm amazed at the amount of people that can't go quack with a double reed...and have a cutdown on their lanyard.
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”