Cutdown?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Cutdown?

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:13 am

All right, I'll admit it, I'm a little intrigued by this. Took me a little research to figure out that my duck calls have always been J style calls.

This year was the first year that I've been successful at calling specs in. It took a couple hours recently listening to a sound file on a speaker as loud as it would go so that I could hear it while calling at the same time and was able eventually able to get in sync with it and can now reliably duplicate that in the field so I'm very happy.

So back to these cut down calls. I watched a bunch of these videos and my question is why in the world do these guys have to move around like they're going into epileptic seizure? Can't they just stand still and blow the duck call?

GH22 gave me a personal demonstration last year while in his hometown, and I thought I was gonna have to call the paramedics for him. But it did sound really good.

So looking at the rolling thunder product lineup. I believe I can recognize the difference between the original Arkansas style cut down and the 45° Louisiana style cut down. But what is the difference between those two and the one labeled BSOD at the bottom of the page for $95?

Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 am

arkansas folk are a strange bunch
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:08 pm

We had a guy with us last year that called in a pair of specks while the robo was a'whirling. Circled three times and came into an open edge of the brake.

He did this fast clucking that I've never even heard anyone else blow or even heard specks making that same sequence.

I was totally amazed at this.

For me now, I'm about 50% success calling in the ones that I have some business calling to. And I attribute that to being where they really want to be. But I did call in a single speck to the edge of the brake where it was folded nicely by yours truly the other day and called in another in to the same spot two days later.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
JCA
Regular

Postby JCA » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Don't know about you guys but this was the best year of speck hunting we have had so far. We killed them from opening weekend all the way through to closing. It seems that over in Arkansas we are getting more and more of them showing up every year and am curious if you guys are seeing the same. I cross the delta on 315 headed over to our place every weekend and I didn't see near the waterfowl I usually see driving back and forth or for that matter the amount of water that I usually see in that area on my drive. Did you guys find that not that many people were willing to pump early this year because that area seemed like a duck and goose desert on most of my drives.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”