Which shotgun to get?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
irishevox

Which shotgun to get?

Postby irishevox » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:20 am

So I am trying to make a decision on my next duck gun. I been shooting a Remington 870 for some time now and I think it just has seen it's day not be able to shoot more than one shell at a times mostly and jamming a lot plus a cracked stock I think it's time. With that said... I need some helping making a decision. Would you get a Browning A5 or a Remington Versamax. Money isn't an issue just looking to get the bang for my buck. Both are awesome guns but looking for some ideas to see what ya'll think maybe something I over looked . The biggest difference is about $700 between the two.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Re: Which shotgun to get?

Postby quack_a_tack » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:31 pm

I highly recommend going and shouldering a few different guns. You never know when 1 you never thought about feels better. I went to look at an SBE2, and walked out with an SX3. Have been pleased with it ever since. It felt like a part of me where the others were clubby. Just my advice. Also I have heard some negative feedback on the versamax. The QA and getting help from Remington is evidently a thing of the past just an FYI.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
Forrest3
Veteran

Postby Forrest3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Just got a beretta a400 and love it. I did my research and didn't find many good reviews on the veramax, but like said above go shoulder them before you make your mind up.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Two seasons into a Versamax and I have been very impressed. No problems, no jams, and have not cleaned it yet. When you get one in your hands, take it apart. No loose pieces, rings, springs,etc. There are plenty of guns out there, get what you like and something that suits your eye.
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:24 pm

SX3
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Used Cynergy w/ synthetic stock.
irishevox

Postby irishevox » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:37 am

ya;ll are def pointing out some tips I didn't think of for sure
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:10 am

I have been happy as a clam with my old beat-to-hell Browning Gold, but if I were buying a new one today I would get an SX3 or an Xtrema II.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
FoldedUp
Regular

Postby FoldedUp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 am

I agree with shouldering any you have your eye on prior to purchase.

I had a Remington 11-87 that I used for nearly a decade that I "retired" after the 2013-2014 season and before the 2014 turkey season. I knew I wanted a new gun, and kind of wanted to give the inertia driven guns a look after using the 11-87 for so long (and a 1100 and a 870 prior to that).... but I was open to anything.

Did my research and read reviews..... contemplated the VersaMax, Winchester SX3, Benelli SBEII, Browning A5, Stoeger M3500, and Franchi Intensity.

Went to gun shop and shouldered the A5 and the SBEII..... really liked the way both of those felt. The A5 felt about as natural as possible to me.... not to mention that it's available in several different camos (if thats something you are interested in). When I was there, though, I noticed they had the Franchi I had read about. Shouldered it and, to me, it felt as light if not lighter than the A5 and felt good in my hands. Found out that it was priced about $500 less than the A5 and SBEII, so I ended up buying it on the spot after they sweetened my deal some.

Got it in Bottomland and I use it as my main shotgun for ducks and turkeys. Killed a turkey with it last season and put it through a pretty rigorous duck season this year and it's been perfect. I have had only 1 hiccup, a misfire dud that was attributed to a wet shell. As far as dirt and grime and cleaning it..... it's WAY cleaner shooting than my old gas 11-87.

It swings well, is light, has a good line and looks good too. I've been very pleased. Sorry for the essay, but I just wanted to throw out another affordable option that folks maybe don't know about.
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:08 pm

jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Berreta, berreta, or berreta would be my choice..
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Maxus and a5 have been reliable in the circle of friends I talk to, Remington versa max not so much. I shoot an original SBE that I have put various parts on over the years and it's still just as reliable as any I hunt next to. Probably have put $200 worth of parts on it over the years and has always performed. It was bought new in 1994 I think.
work hard, play hard
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm

I've converted several to the sx3 that haven't regretted it. Mine's never missed a beat.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

I've shot a Beretta 390 for about 15 years and really enjoyed the gun. I'm one of champs SX3 converts this year and it is fantastic!

It feels snappy and smooth. Mine came with spacers to change drop and cast. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Changing drop and cast aligned my POA and POI.

The shot string seems shorter than the Beretta so it shoots a little tighter than I'm used to. Even with IC choke I'm killing the escapees that used to fly away after the initial volley.

I got the gun the first week of January and once I got drop/cast right it's been ridiculous.

26" barrel and composite stock is the way to go.
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 am

Who is someone who can help with the drop and cast alignment? I feel like another eye that has done it may help.

Oh and I bought a maxus a few years ago. Absolutely love it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”