This place is all but dead.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Barq's
Veteran

This place is all but dead.....

Postby Barq's » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 pm

It's unbelievable to me that the banter back and forth and the information sharing has all but dried up....Don't believe me, then look at the number of views versus replies on most posts....One post has 2,400 views and like less than 12 replies.

It just seems to me that there used to be a lot more "help" and responses between us than there is nowadays....
just my .02....

Barq's....miss the old days
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: This place is all but dead.....

Postby mfalkner » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:28 pm

I've noticed this also. Wonder why?
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I can't speak for everybody else, but I've been duck hunting every chance I get. Time to 'do'....not 'talk'.

......and of what I'm 'doing', it's become my policy not to 'talk' about it until I'm 'done'. :mrgreen:

.......and I can't post photos of my blind because I'm still working on it between hunts - and nobody probably gives a rat's asp anyway.

Start a thread about 'favorite coolers'.....that'll pick things up.

Here's a topic: What I hate most about duck season?........dealing with the wires, plugs and clamps on the battery charger.......they get hung-up on everything.

And I could write a glaring review about Drake wader pants, and how dysfunctional the waist adjuster take-ups are, how the 'cut' must be for folks with no asp, and the fact that your billfold ends-up halfway down your leg. And zipping the last 8" of the flap on their coat right under your chin is a 3-handed operation. The only way I can zip or unzip that is to put the top of the flap/tab in your teeth, hold the bottom of the coat with one hand and operate the zipper with the other. But that won't resonate with the manufacturer - they'll still sell the crap out of them.....why changeanything?

I'll take a Filson any day.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:02 pm

What happened to the hunting coat w/game bag all around, corduroy collar, brown, or green duck material and the thick quilted insulated underware top/bottoms so popular 40 years ago. Only thing close nowadays is upland stuff w big panels of fluorescent orange. And the underware looks like women's tights..... :mrgreen:
Saw gal shopping for son couldn't find a jacket w/brown on the bottom. I told her that was cuz that part goes down in the waders so no need for camo....Oh she said he's deer hunting :lol:

Anybody tried the Haydels DR call that'll bark?
http://haydels.com/product/stout-14/

Anybody started flocking their spooners and dos Gris yet?

Where did da go George? Could I get a refund...they guaranteed me ducks...

Budget spread motion....yard sale teal spinner missin da legs, homemade wunder duck and jerk rig...
http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/dendu ... a.mp4.html
Last edited by Denduke on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 am

Since when did ducks start barking? :roll:

No, still using a modified Haydel's DSR-88 in a Olt D-2 barrel. The reeds must be 20 years old. The Haydel's barrel that holds the reeds, wedge and tone board split on both sides a few years back, so I drilled holes at the end of the splits to keep them from going any farther, then super-glued cracks and fille the holes. I'm going to be sick when something happens to this call.

My wife had her Dad's old LL Bean hunting coat like you described - neat stuff.

Re: More stuff and guarantees.........buy it, use it, they will come. :lol: We fell for the 'new' this year.......got 2 G&H 'swimmers'. Putting decoys out by poling a 1000# mud rig around in the muck is work-enough - but then trying to navigate back to your hiding spot holding-on to the jerk string reel is tricky. So, we tried eliminating the jerk string on occassion. I still like the big ripples you can make with 2-3 decoys on a 'jerk'......but it IS a pain in the asp at times (keeping in mind we would be tresspassing if we get out of our boat).

Nice photo.......looks like a ducky place.

'Haven't flocked anything......been too busy (and too tired) fo dat.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:34 am

Our birds vacated after last weekend, even the guides in the area getting skunked. So nothing left to do but deer hunt and stir poo on DS
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:48 am

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:27 pm

work hard, play hard
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Well said HH
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:50 pm

I'll agree with that 100%....just sad to see the good info and bs'ing to start to slide. I miss Benny and God knows I butted heads with him on more than one occasion, but he kept this place interesting...I miss quite a few people that have left us too.
I'm heading north this coming up Saturday and hopefully I will get to see some birds....the shoulder is still hurting and pretty stiff, but I will see what I can do if I can get the opportunity to put some birds in the deeks.

Lord knows too that talking or posting about your honeyhole will kill a place faster than anything...I learned that the hard way and now I don't talk but to a very select few on where I go and what I do....

Yall have a good one....can't wait to get back in a blind or on a bank...
Barq's
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:28 am

Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:50 pm

I have safety pins on the waist adjuster tabs because they won't stay where you put them. The you try to thread a belt through the loops at the adjuster tabs and they are not adjusted any more. PLUS, they put the 'pull' end of the tabs to where you have to pull it toward your back to tighten them up.......ergonomically opposite from muscular physiology. Browning had sense enough to make theirs where you pull them 'forward' and it's much more user freindly. They are woethless on the Drakes for many reasons.

If your waist size fits........then your hips don't.........It's a 'tube'-type pattern..........and then you can't get your hands in the pockets because the material is too tight at the pocket opening. Forget getting car keys in and out.

The hip pockets are too low. I actually ripped the fabric above the pocket trying to get my billfold in the pocket. Then when it's in the pocket......it's below your butt where when you sit down, you're sitting on your billfold.....under your upper leg.

They are warm.......but so are Browning........with the improvements Drake could've made in their own products if they were paying attention to 'the details'.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Thats funny. My 9yo Jacob as we were putting on waders and coats says," huh I hate everything"! I guess we all feel like that sometimes.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Those pants are made by someone very short, with tiny hands. The pockets are shallow, the pants are tight enough to make a hipster jealous, and yes those draw tabs are worthless. So much so that I cut them off.

Also the crotch on mine is so long I have to wear them midways up my belly. Then the legs / inseam is about a 24. Im 6'5" so it ain't a matter of too short. They almost look like long shorts, or trout pants. You know the ones where you can wade knee deep water and not get che pants wet?

Another thing since the crotch is so long and they are so tight. I have busted out like a can of biscuits. And one more thing. Since the pants are so short I had to cut the foot off a wool sock so that my ankles, and calves wont get so cold. There ain't anything worse than cold ankles and calves.
richard b evers
Duck South Addict

Postby richard b evers » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Still here, just been hunting
Semper Fi
AKA - Hollywood

Return to “General Discussion Forum”