keeping decoys shining

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dr. B
Veteran

keeping decoys shining

Postby Dr. B » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Seems like I read someplace that you can clean up the decoys and spray some clear coat on them to add a little shine when they start fading. Any of y'all do this?

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: keeping decoys shining

Postby Anatidae » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Never. Shiny decoys flare ducks.

But, if others think spraying them with poly is the key to their success, I certainly won't argue.

Detail on duck decoys is highly over-rated (IMO) :mrgreen:
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:14 pm

If you clear coat them use a flat or matt clear.......
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:13 pm

good point. thanks!

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 am

I don't know that you want them to shine--but you want them clean. I used to try to clean decoys in the car wash at the end of the season, but it never brightened them up or took the scum off them. The very best thing I have ever found is spray tire foam. Buy the aerosol can, not the pump/squirt bottle. Spray a decoy until it is covered in foam, and it looks like brand new. One can will do about 75 decoys. I will never clean another decoy again.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 am

Anatidae has a real nice and shiny decoy. Just one, but it's all he needs.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:24 am

Flocked decoys are selling like hot cakes for a reason.
They don't shine.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 am

^X2

Just sold all my stuff and bought all dakota decoys.........

3 doz Mallards
1 doz Sprigs
1/2 doz Geese
1 doz Teal
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:57 am

Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic flat #3530 also designated as #53530 is what you want.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 am

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Anatidae, I still laugh thinking about you picking that thing up and saying," This decoy belongs to John SoandSo, whoever the hell he is."

I have gotten to where I look at my decoys with a sense of loathing: disgusted, wondering, pondering, paranoid that they are not working for me but actively scheming against me.

I love Dakota Flocked Heads, and that is why I always try to make friends with folks who have them.

The only problem I have found with Dakotas is when the owner becomes disoriented and begins to believe- with conviction- that the flocked heads are made from the eggshells of a California Condor, instead of plastic covered velvet. Some Dakota owners fall apart or, at best, gets crotchety if the decoys land in the water less than unimpeded.

I know they are expensive and the flocking flocking is more delicate than the cold, lifeless, colorless heads on my dekes. Also, I always respect someone else's belongings. However when tossing out the Dakota, in the unfortunate event that it intersects and collides with a wind-blown blade of grass, for the love of all that is good and kind, we mortals really are downtrodden by our moronic mistake.

And so if you are a Dakota owner, please do not make demands of blood sacrifices to atone for our pitiful and disgusting physical defects of the muscular system. (Obviously any piece of filth that would allow said collision to occur has character defects as well.)

If you are not like that, then I have 24 brown decoys (formerly flambeau gwt), and a bad a ** dog named Meat Dog, and I will travel, friend.

(I think I am about to buy some Dakotas)
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict

Postby Blake Williamson » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:50 pm

I've been telling myself for a couple years now that I'm going to try flocking some of my decoys myself. It only costs about $30 to flock the heads on 4 dozen mallard decoys yourself. I want to flock the heads and the black areas on the mallards, and flock a couple dozen scaup and canvasback decoys. But once again, I didn't do it before this season. Too low on the priority list with everything else going on. Oh well. For $100 and about 8 hours of my time, I could have a very nice looking spread using decoys I already own.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Where do you get the flocking?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”