Ask DS: full vest vs strap vest

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tobydawg
Veteran

Ask DS: full vest vs strap vest

Postby tobydawg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:03 am

I've decided to ditch my blind bag in favor of a vest. I get tired of the bag slipping off my shoulder or getting snagged on brush and getting dipped in the water on the walk/wade in, so a vest seems like the logical answer. Anyway, now I'm trying to decide b/t a 'full' vest or the strap-style vest. For you fellas that use one or the other(or have tried both), what are your opinions, pros/cons, suggestions, etc. Thanks.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS: full vest vs strap vest

Postby teul2 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:51 pm

I have pretty much done this. I have the McAllister waxed canvas wading vest. 26 shell loops on the front and a game pouch on the back. Works well for long hikes from the truck.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:15 pm

i invested in a filson vest about 8-9 years ago and haven't looked back. four big pockets on the front with ample shell loops inside and another dog collar thingie (i'll be honest, i don't trust it so don't use it) and a game pouch in the back. it's waxed single tin i'll probably be able to hand down to my grandkids which is why i say "invested."

slap on a couple of carabiners and you're ready to rock.

gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I have a mcalister vest with straps over the shoulder. I assume this is what you mean. Pro is it easy on over a jacket. Con is less comfortable. This year I've got a waterproof orvis bag that goes over one shoulder and across your back. I can carry two boxes jerk string and everything else I need. I usually put 12-15 shells in my jacket and hook the bag on a tree. Worked well during teal hunts.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:31 pm

I have the same one gator has, filson guide vest I think. I love it. You can carry a bunch of stuff if you want to, but I find myself putting less in it. It does ride low so deep water can be an issue. Throw a few screw in tree steps(ratchet strap on public land for the legal beagles).
tobydawg
Veteran

Postby tobydawg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for the replies.....from looking online and reading reviews, I've pretty much decided to go the full vest route and narrowed it down to the McAlister and the tin cloth vest. From what I can tell at this point the filson may win by default b/c I'm having trouble finding anywhere that has the mcalister still in stock.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:45 am

yea, I was wondering about the whole McAllister brand. Seems like there is nothing available any more. Even all the McAllister stuff on the Drake site is on sale with limited sizes. Maybe they are discontinuing the brand?

But anyway, here is the vest I have.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/waterfowl-wading-vest-by-mcalister~p~27402/
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:55 am

Go with Filson. Said EVERYONE. :wink: Get it rewaxed every other off season if you use it a lot.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 am

McAlister is phasing out and to be no more from what I hear. I rewaxed mine this summer, it didnt take long. No need to send it in.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:31 am

The one time I tried that myself, I set the wax stuff on fire. Coordinated folks may not have this issue. There is a place up in New England that does it inexpensively.

EDIT: The place in New England has jumped their prices WAY up. Do it yourself. :D
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm

best on a warm sunshiney day on a truck bed in the sun. Or if you have to do it inside use a hair dryer.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:02 pm

I changed over to a vest about 4 years ago. Totally ditched the blind bag. If I can't fit it in my vest, then I don't need it. i went with a McAlister vest, but would buy a Filson if I was to get one today.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:55 pm

I tried that McAlister waxed cotton strap vest thing, and even in flooded timber (where it should shine) my various pockets on whatever else I had on would hold more than it would. Oh yeah, and it stinks, smells like an old army tent covered in burnt motor oil. When I finally identified what the stench was in my equipment room, (it took me two years :roll: ) I was so pissed that I threw it away. I normally don't do that, just too Hebrew I 'spose. If I still had it, it would be yours.

I carry too much crap and use a waterproof backpack, it has some buckle strap deal and I strap it to a small tree or leave it in the boat.

Sorry for thread hijack, back to the vest discussion. :? :P
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”