goose question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
drake09
Veteran

goose question

Postby drake09 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Guess I'll try my hand getting into hunting the big bird never really tried it but started buying shells and some rags what kind of numbers should I shot for on decoys or any other input would be great.
Wait wait!! Dam* shouldve shot them
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Re: goose question

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Learn to call specks or Canadas and you need like six decoys of each with a GOOD call, and they are EASY to decoy.

Snows get about 1,000 rags and unless you have a hot field you may not fire a shot call or no call.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 am

call me when they are thick in a field you have access to
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:10 am

Depends on how Mobile you want to be and how well you are able to get concealed.

Locals birds are tough. We put-out 5 dz Higdon shells in a pea field that held 200-300 birds and didn't get'em to really 'finish' until we dug ourselves in and just used burlap with pea stubble attached with zip ties. If you have a dog - better figure on digging deep enough for it to be completely flush and train it to stay 'down' when birds are approaching.

Sometimes it's not a matter of how much or how many - as it is, what you do with what you have.

Concealment is the main priority.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”