COLD weather?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: COLD weather?

Postby mfalkner » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Hope we'll keep some of those new birds for opener. Lot of ice coming to upper prairie
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 pm

That's me.. Birds starting to show up and no water.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Last edited by Anatidae on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:52 pm

I was waiting on you to chime in. Looking forward to your report this year.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Welp....

I started not sleeping through the night Friday... Looking at this weather coming the birds we saw for the ute hunt last weekend, we have birds right now. We will see how long they stick down here but for now we have enough birds to keep us busy and a new camp to break in!

Glad to hear you and Anne got out in front of the bad stuff, like others I can't wait to hear the stories and pictures!
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 pm

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as Anatidae. Haha.

Seriously, this is colder for the time of year than any year I can remember in my young life. I wish for a 1980s type winter of my youth where it seemed like the whole winter was freezing and we got several big snows along the way. Come on Ole Man Winter, been missing you now for about 9 months.
work hard, play hard
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:24 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Well I guess it's safe to say that we were being overly optimistic about the cold weather for this year. I realize that it's still early, but I can't remember it being this warm for so long during this time of year. Let's hope for a "polar vortex" for Christmas.
work hard, play hard
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Next significant weather event will start just after Christmas (around the 28th). We probably won't see the affects until first of January, but then another blast hits SK in the first week of January.......minus 14 for lows up there. Usuallly, we get some of that dip in the jet stream and get a few birds.

Personally, I don't mind killing ducks in relatively warm temperatures but we could use another push of the migration, and more birds.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:54 pm

It's been a funny weather year but I'll tell you I'll take it! Just completed the first split in LA today and we flat out have birds. Only hard part this last week has been running white out fog in the river under radar the last week. It's been fun even with "stale" ducks the last 10 or so days. Hope we can get some more weather in soon I'll take Christmas but would be nice a little sooner!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”