Year of the band (Updated)

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Back!
Regular

Re: Year of the band

Postby Back! » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:01 pm

LUCK is a big part of getting a band. Antatidae and I have hunted together 36 seasons and he has more than double the number of bands that I have. When I used to keep records, it showed that I usually killed more ducks than he did. In the mid 80's I shot a 20 and Randy shot a 12. One morning he forgot his shells. I let him shoot his limit with MY gun and shells first. He tips down a greenhead that MY Golden spends 8-10 minutes tracking down in thick cane. Banded. He did offer the band to me but I didn't want one that I didn't shoot.
HRCH Topbrass' Bundle of Joy MH - 'B.J.'
"That's a lotta dog in a little dog" - [Freddy McCrory]
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 pm

I would add (and people that have hunted with her know) that Anne (Back!) is as good a shot as I am (if not better) on ducks - so the lop-sided band count is not a product of her shooting ability (or lack, thereof), but like she said.......LUCK.

Also - I always give her first shot of the day.....especially on greenheads.

We have our shooting lanes, too.......no party shooting. If you miss, I'm not shooting at your duck unless it's obviously been 'tipped', then we back each other up in that case.

For me to shoot a duck that's in her shooting lane results in insufferable and prolonged spousal retribution. It's just not worth it. :shock:

To avoid cripples we tell ourselves that any bird we loose is presumed 'banded'.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 am

I have picked up a lost mallard on the field edge before that was banded, a snow goose frozen to the ice (dead) flipped it over and it was banded. once while taking a group out midday after a big freeze we were breaking ice in a boat toward the blind in a huge field in Arkansas. Saw a day old cripple in the field/ice, got close to him he flaps away. Got close to him, he flaps away. I said let him go as we were dealing with ice the whole time. Got to blind, hunted then late afternoon another regroup took second shift. When they went back in the ice had thawed more, they saw the same cripple and ran him down.....Band!
Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:42 pm

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:34 pm

17yrs hunting, 3 bands. Hunting with a buddy of mine his first year for ducks.

1.)Mallard and wood duck fly in together, both shoot at the same time. When I say shoot at the same time I didn't realize he had shot and vice versa. Both banded (I got the woodie).

2.)Back when a south delta unnamed wma wasn't draw hunt and you could hunt past noon. Big front passing through the area. Went out midday and got a banded mallard.

3.)Banded mallard on a Byron Barrett run duck lease.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
feather
Veteran

Postby feather » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Two since 1975...some people are lucky and some are not.
"Locked, cocked and ready to rock, doc"..Ted Nugent
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:35 am

10 years hunting.

buddy killed a banded greenwing 2 years ago, on the last day when we were hunting. then same buddy killed a banded greenhead this year. (he's prob killed 120 ducks in the 3 years). me and the same guy were hunting this passed saturday with 2 other guys (banded woodie). hunted in arkansas for a couple days earlier this year, with 3 other guys (banded greenhead).

basically until this year, i had only seen one band killed. this year, 3. and none of them are on my wall or lanyard.

it will prob be another 10 years before i see some more bands... :?
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Hambone, we've killed one banded Gadwall in 22 years at the LLDC. Saw two others killed in the 70's while hunting Beaver Dam with Dr. Chub. We don't kill as many Gadwalls as you Swampers, but kill a fair number and I've been with a lot in my day.
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Postby tupe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Gadwall bands seem pretty scarce. Had a hole in the delta where we killed several hundred a year for 8 years running and never saw one.

At a place I managed in LA we killed 500 +/- a year out of one spot and I have only seen 1 gad band come out of it in over ten years.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 am

Ol camp at pelhatchie produced 3-4 banded Greys
Jack miner mallard to boot
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
Duck$$$
Veteran

Postby Duck$$$ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 pm

My 12 yr old killed his first band opening day last year , a teal. Killed banded green head yesterday. 2 bands/2 seasons and only 12 !! Trying to tell him how rare that can be. Both in Tallahatchie co.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Well boys it was a hoax. I saw the bird die, saw my dog retrieve the bird, and I removed the band; however USGS says it's fake. Below are the emails that have taken place.

USGS
I am writing in connection with the recovery of bird band number
>> *0595-50XXX* which you recently submitted to the Bird Banding Laboratory.
>>
>> In checking this recovery, I noticed that the information you included in
>> your report does not agree with the banding data we have in file. You wrote
>> that this band number was recovered from a *NORTHERN SHOVELER*. Our
>> records indicate that the band was placed on the leg of a *Wood Duck*.
>>
>> It would be appreciated if you would check your field notes or the band
>> itself to be sure that the number is correct. If you can provide us with a
>> corrected number, we will be happy to process this recovery and send you
>> the background information we have in file for this bird. Please also
>> respond with any comments or documentation you have about the species of
>> the bird (for example, photos of the bird are very helpful).
>>
>> Your interest and cooperation in this matter are greatly appreciated, and
>> I look forward to hearing from you again.
>>
>> THE ENCOUNTER INFORMATION YOU SUBMITTED WAS:
>> Band Number: *0595-50XXX*
>> Species of Bird: *NORTHERN SHOVELER*
>> Date bird/band obtained: 01/10/2014
>> How bird/band was obtained: Shot.
>> Status of band after obtaining bird: REMOVED
>> Present condition of bird: DEAD
>> Location where bird/band was obtained:
>> Country: United States
>> State/Province: Tennessee
>> County/Parish: Henry
>> Nearest Town/Place: PARIS
>> Distance and direction from the town: 15 mi. NE
>> Description: ELK HORN REFUGE

ME
I currently do not have the band in hand. In my field notes from January
>> 10, 2014 the band number is what I reported to you.
>> 595-50XXX. This was indeed a male northern shoveler.
>> Attached you will find a few pictures of the bird. I will send back a
>> picture of the actual band when I get a chance.
>> Thank you for the response and I look forward to figuring out the mystery
>> of this bird.

USGS
Thank you for the response. Once you check the band itself get back to me,
> it's likely that we just have 1-2 digits off.

Me
Could there have been a mistake such as two bands being made with the same number sequence, or an error on recording the bird, upon banding?

Hard for me to believe a person would make a band. Then capture a shoveler, and place it on his leg.

I'm not trying to be smart, but the logic behind someone capturing a duck then releasing it with a federal band is hard for me to believe.

Also in 1963 we know that data was probably not recorded using a computer. This is just a hunch due to fact that I wasn't born yet. Of course it's also hard for me to believe that a duck can live 51 years.

Any information would be appreciated.

USGS
Hi Caleb - I understand the questions. Why persons create counterfeit bands and place them on birds is something we've been trying to figure out aside from the fact that it is illegal. Our database is set up to prevent band numbers being repeated on bands. If it had happened that band numbers were repeated on a new string there would have been at least an entire string (100 bands) created with the same mistake. Given that we have at least 10% recovery rate, by now there would have very likely been other bands recovered and creating similar issues as this report.

Due to how aluminum bands wear it's also impossible that this band has been out on a bird since 1963 and this band looks pretty much brand new.

In cases like yours in the past we've later received emails that friends of the reporter have wanted to play a joke and secretly slipped a purchased band onto a bird.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance,

Me
I understand the joke part. I almost typed that in when I emailed you back. There were other hunters present when the band was taken. I sent the dog in the attached pictures on a retrieve ,and we all watched her bring the bird back. The bird was not tampered with in anyway before the band was removed from the bird.

I knew something was wrong when the kind lady told me that the bird was banded in Radcliff, Ohio in 1963. I actually called back again to verify that the information presented to me was correct.

I agree that the band was not near tarnished enough to be on a bird that long, however it does have some wear on the inside. So it has been on the bird for a little while.

My day of glory killing the oldest known bird ever recorded, and it being a shoveler at that has ended today. I thought and wondered how many miles, fish ponds ,and awful calling this bird has seen, and it came to die in Paris, Tn was beyond amazing. I thought what a great decoy spread we have, fantastic calling, awesome beards, and excellent camo that only a sniper would admire. I thought ole the glory of being front and center on every hunting magazine, poster, duck call sponsors, shell company sponsors, heck maybe even a reality show has come to an end.

Thank you for taking the time and help. I hope you have a great day.

Ps I am now considering my options for an article ,and picture on fake bands. I will be happy to share my story and take any photo ops that you may want to use.

Pps we will keep this fake band between us. My hunting buddies do not need to know that I showed off a fake spoonie band that is now placed on my lanyard. My hunting reputation is at an all time high especially in Alabama due to the fact that people think I killed a 51 year old spoonie.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Year of the band (Updated)

Postby teul2 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:28 am

That sucks.
There were several fakes taken in the delta the last few years. A young guy I hunted with during teal season said that the banding lab had suspicions that he was doing it he called in so many (3 of them).
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:46 am

We killed a juvie blue goose three years ago that was listed as a Canada on the band info. After about a week of back and forth emails with the bird banding and pics of said bird with band on the foot, they finally changed their mix up and sent the right certificate.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu May 01, 2014 9:11 am

I guess I don't understand the logic. I mean you have to trap a wild bird, forge a band, then place said band on bird, and return it to the wild. If it was a mallard I might understand beings some people have pen raised ducks that might travel. I don't know anyone that has spoonies on a farm pond or raise them.

I have killed a few hearts desire bands, and one black slough conservation band. These are birds that were banded by a private club. They have a federal permit to band birds, and give you a certificate just like USGS....

I guess the major problem with this band is the banding date of 1963.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”